AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel short chambered.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LongRanger

AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel short chambered.

I waited for one year to finally get my 18" AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel. First thing that I did was to check the head space and that was OK. I checked the cartridge overall length for a 123 grain A-Max bullet and the OAL was only 2.236". Since factory A-Max cartridges averaged out to slightly over 2.25", I did not want to have my bullets forced into the barrels lands. I sent that one back and they sent out a new one. The new one has an OAL of 2.246" which is only slightly better. I figure that I can safely fire the factory Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel and any A-Max reloads that I load to around 2.23" Should I send this barrel back too? Hopefully, the 2 Lilja barrels that I ordered will have the proper chamber and I will not have to go through this bull. Anyone else having this experience with their AR-Stoner Grendel barrels?
  • WildBill3/75

Send it back...try sending it back to the manufacturer this time. Looks like they got a whole lot of bad barrels then if you got a 2nd bad one.

Comment

• arnie
      Warrior
      • Nov 2013

If the head space is right ,then the reamer is made wrong .The throat is too short . I real good gunsmith could use a throating reamer and fix this but if the chamber reamer is not made right ,all the barrels will be wrong .

Comment

Originally posted by LongRanger View Post
        I waited for one year to finally get my 18" AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel. First thing that I did was to check the head space and that was OK. I checked the cartridge overall length for a 123 grain A-Max bullet and the OAL was only 2.236". Since factory A-Max cartridges averaged out to slightly over 2.25", I did not want to have my bullets forced into the barrels lands. I sent that one back and they sent out a new one. The new one has an OAL of 2.246" which is only slightly better. I figure that I can safely fire the factory Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel and any A-Max reloads that I load to around 2.23" Should I send this barrel back too? Hopefully, the 2 Lilja barrels that I ordered will have the proper chamber and I will not have to go through this bull. Anyone else having this experience with their AR-Stoner Grendel barrels?
        All of the barrels will be chambered with the same reamer and have the same interior dimensions. Asking for another will be wasting time, it will be the same as the last.

Comment

are the liberty barrels in the group buy the same as the AR stoner barrels? I though someone said AR stoner was selling them as thier own on midway....I have not checked mine with a dummy round yet...waiting on reloading supplies.

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Since you got it so recently, I am wondering if that was the run that Satern made that also produced the Group Liberty buy barrels. If so, Forum members may have that issue as well on their Liberty barrels.

Comment

Wonder if the reamer got worn down.

Maybe just a few turned out short throated.

For long bullets it would be better to have a longer throat,some mags allow seating to 2.300.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I load my SST pills to 2.265 in my two Liberty barrels.

Comment

• 55Kingpin
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2011

I hope this isn't the case for all of the recent barrels available at Midway (the 16" and 18" as well as the Group Buy)...

I ordered 3 16" barrels from Midway to build some uppers for friends/family. I'm crossing my fingers now. This could be a nightmare for all parties involved. I do know that if I have a problem I will be contacting Lindsey and/or Maranda at Satern ASAP.

Comment

• Sputnik
                    Warrior
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                    are the liberty barrels in the group buy the same as the AR stoner barrels? I though someone said AR stoner was selling them as thier own on midway....I have not checked mine with a dummy round yet...waiting on reloading supplies.
                    As I understand it, the Midway puts their AR Stoner name on Satern 5R button barrels; which Satern sells as Liberty. Same barrel, with a different name.

Comment

• Sputnik
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

Well, so far so good...I think. For a very quick cursory check; I put my 123 SST dummy round in my 16 inch Liberty barrel. I inserted the bolt and rotated it until the lugs locked. I think that tells me my head spacing might be ok. I pulled it out and the extractor removed the round and I saw no scratches on the ogive. So, I guess it did not touch the lands. I don't know how far it is from the lands, when I get more time, I will try to determine that. I hope this comforts a few of us.
                      Last edited by Sputnik; 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• rickOshay
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                        I load my SST pills to 2.265 in my two Liberty barrels.
                        Those would be your older Liberty barrels. Have you checked the new ones?

Comment

• mccuistion

This makes me wonder.... I just purchased my 18" AR Stoner barrel from midway just over a week ago and I had to file off the bottom of my resizing die to get my reloads to chamber. I will taker some measurements tonight and see.

Comment

• MikeGideon

I need to get my buddy back over here with his 18" Stoner and measure his chamber. My Shilen is tight too. No jump at all (using 123 Scenars).

Comment

Originally posted by 45r View Post
                              Wonder if the reamer got worn down.

Maybe just a few turned out short throated.

For long bullets it would be better to have a longer throat,some mags allow seating to 2.300.
                              Reamers are one piece. The throat gets cut at the same time the chamber does. If anything I bet the bullets or Hornady gauge is touching the sides of the freebore and not the front of the lands.

Comment

Working...
                              X