A new barrel and bolt option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new barrel and bolt option

Whilst in search of a barrel for my bolt action for a completely different caliber I came across this information today.

Sharing for the horde in case anybody is $$$ LOADED $$$

BB

As I predicted. The group buy showed how much demand there is for this caliber, to the point that people will jump on the opportunity to buy premium barrels without hesitation.

Comment

• explorecaves

I am not surprised Lilja would place these 4 contours from the group buy on their site. In fact it would be stupid not to. Time spent to set up the machine is the difficult part. Wouldn't take much time to run a few dozen extra contours when it is already set up and have them wait for final lapping until the individual order is placed. And the pricing is the same for all of Lilja's barrels.

Comment

Silly me - I wasn't aware of the group buy.

What was the final price of each barrel and what is the cost of the bolt?

Granted Dan's pricing is posted on the link above for new orders.

Having scanned the final page of the GB thread, the 75 barrels are going to be mixed headspacing based on user demand???

I hope not as the secondary owners likely wouldn't know which bolt to use...

BB

Comment

• explorecaves

All are head spaced to the 0.136" bolt. There were just some minor variances between bolt manufacturers that the option for specific bolts was offered. As for price, due to the volume, we were able to get a little bit lower price than the 5 barrel option and the bolt was not part of the GB price and are not part of the price in the link above. You can buy the MF bolt from Mark at Precision Firearms.

Comment

The Maxim bolt is made to the same external dimensions as an AA bolt, to the best of my knowledge. At least everything that has to do with head-spacing is the same. I think Lilja is just covering their bases, since they have no control over how the bolt is made.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
              All are head spaced to the 0.136" bolt. There were just some minor variances between bolt manufacturers that the option for specific bolts was offered. As for price, due to the volume, we were able to get a little bit lower price than the 5 barrel option and the bolt was not part of the GB price and are not part of the price in the link above. You can buy the MF bolt from Mark at Precision Firearms.
              This is incorrect. They're headspaced to the bolt of which the buyer selected. There are some variances which is why Dan put that note on the website.

I've actually talked to Dan about this in length over the last several weeks. He's still finalizing the details of how he'll offer them that's why I didn't say anything to this point. He may be offering them with a bolt due to the variance he has seen in the different bolts.

These variances in different bolts will hinder the progress of the Grendel. There needs to be a streamlined bolt design.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by cory View Post
                This is incorrect. They're headspaced to the bolt of which the buyer selected. There are some variances which is why Dan put that note on the website.

I've actually talked to Dan about this in length over the last several weeks. He's still finalizing the details of how he'll offer them that's why I didn't say anything to this point. He may be offering them with a bolt due to the variance he has seen in the different bolts.

These variances in different bolts will hinder the progress of the Grendel. There needs to be a streamlined bolt design.
                Was not aware they were that different… Would be nice to see the info posted in a stand alone thread. (hint hint hint)

Comment

It makes sense to just use the existing standard, namely the AA Grendel bolt. Metallurgy and some dimensional changes deal with the larger case of the Grendel.

That provides the most options for customers and manufacturers.

Comment

Is there any difference between the maxim and AA bolt as far as what steel or other parts they use?

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      It makes sense to just use the existing standard, namely the AA Grendel bolt. Metallurgy and some dimensional changes deal with the larger case of the Grendel.

From a supply stand point I disagree. I know Dan has talked to Frank, and it appears Dan is confident in that supply chain.
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I totally agree! If Maxim bolts are something other than an AA / SAMI spec (which works fine with my LBC bolts) I'll call tomorrow and cancel the order for the barrel I just bought from Lilja.

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Since AA developed the chamber, cartridge, and bolt, took part in what was submitted to SAAMI, etc, it seems only natural that AA's version would be considered the industry standard. I think any bolt or barrel manufacturer that deviates from that standard will be limiting their own opportunities. And even a barrel maker that offers variations based on bolt design will likely cause more headaches and confusion. We've already seen it with BHW barrels and "Type 1" or "Type 2" bolts. Similar stuff with CSS barrels and "CSS" or "OEM" bolts.
                          Last edited by Drifter; 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM.
                          Drifter

Comment

• aclark
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2011

Can anyone tell me the difference between the AA bolt and the LBC bolt? I know the cases are slightly different, but what about the bolts themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by aclark View Post
                              Can anyone tell me the difference between the AA bolt and the LBC bolt? I know the cases are slightly different, but what about the bolts themselves?
                              The cartridges are the same. The chamber is different with a tighter neck and no compound angle in the freebore. Not sure where LBC sourced their bolts from, but I suspect materials are totally different (8620 steel).

The Les Baer chamber is called the .264 LBC-AR, whereas a lot of variant chambers are called .264 LBC by the particular barrel maker. There's a chapter on it and other chamber variants in the 6.5 Grendel Volume I Reloading Handbook, which basically emphasizes that you need to load for your chamber.

Comment

Working...
                              X