PDQ lever... bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDQ lever... bad idea?

maybe this is old news, but I had never seen a PDQ ambi bolt release lever before my buddy asked me to install one on his lower. Looks pretty cool- nothing hanging out in the trigger guard like the " BAD" lever, but I just can't bring myself to dremel out the notch in his lower.. what say ye of the horde?

IMG_20130116_140412_zps53639c60.jpgpreview_image_0_5707782x_zps58c0f1e7.jpg

here's a couple of pics of the lever

-thanks,
    mike

That looks like an easy mod on the polymer lower, but it's really easy to screw up on aluminum IMO.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Interesting. I agree with Jurassic, I'd practice on a cheap forged lower for the first time. If possible for function I'd suggest drilling a hole and squareing it with a drill press and small bit as necessary.

Do you have a picture of the mod with the upper removed from the lower?
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• aclark
        Warrior
        • Dec 2011

The only advantage that I can see on any ambi bolt release is the ease of locking back. For a reload the paddle on the left side is in a perfect location to hit as you are inserting the mag and moving your hand back to the forearm. I can't see spending any money to fix an issue that really isn't present. This goes for the BAD lever too.

Comment

If you think about shooting from alternate positions, especially with accuracy nazi guns, it's nice to also be able to release the bolt when you want after allowing air to circulate through your barrel after a string of fire, without having to break your position.

The main aspect of manual of arms that is difficult for people to learn first with the AR15 is locking the bolt to the rear, and ambi controls are the most optimum method for doing it since you no longer have to remove your firing hand from the grip if you're a right hander.

In this regard, the AR15 actually supports a left-handed shooter better, because a lefty can simply raise their trigger finger (if long enough), & depress the bottom of the bolt catch as they retract the charge handle to the rear with their right hand, only they now have to negotiate the CH latch on the left side of the handle. By rotating the gun clockwise 90 degrees, they can reach over and pinch the left side of the CH while activating the bolt catch with the left index finger, but an ambi CH would be better in this approach.

I kinda like this PDQ ambi bolt catch, and you can order an already set-up lower from Aero Precision with it installed for $165, where the machine work is anodized after the fact: http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-re...ver-gen-2.html
          Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys! I am left-handed so I can hit the standard bolt release no problem. He is right handed, and just wanted a little more convenience.
            I guess I will just do it- if I botch up his lower, or it somehow cracks down the road, it will give him an excuse to buy a 7075 billet one- then he can tell his wife it was my fault he had to buy a new one, ha ha.
            it's weird how "lefties" adapt to things- like on a bolt gun, it just seems easier to stay on the stock left handed and work the bolt with my right hand- almost like it was intended that way.
            thanks again guys,
            -mike

Comment

I feel the same way about bolt guns. Doesn't make sense, until you start looking at case failures. The Blaser straight-pull actions are nice though, very fast cycling for follow-up shots.

When hunting boar, it just makes more sense to have a reliable semi-auto with very low recoil, with high SD projectiles. Anybody got any suggestions...

Comment

Working...
              X