Coating a free float tube for silence in stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coating a free float tube for silence in stand

Is there a rubbery spray coating that can be applied to a metal free float tube to stop it from clanking against metal deer stand or other metal parts? I'd like to find something in OD green. I'd like to also still be able to use add on rails on my vent slits
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

You could use the rubber tool dip to coat it, but I would just use a carbon tube....lighter, quieter, cooler, cooler, cooler,
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

I like the Mcnett Camo Form http://www.mcnett.com/tactical/camoform#19716
      It's similar to an Ace bandage and adheres to itself. Easy to apply and reusable to a degree. Here's me 6.5 all dressed up for coyote hunting

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

I used some pickup bed liner on one, worked good. It wasn't spray on but I used a roller.
        sigpic

Comment

• Overwatcher

Just go with the camo wrap John speaks of..Good grip, good camo patterns, and when you decide you don't like it,you won't be stuck with it.

Comment

good ideas. I have a buddy that does bedliners...but i don't know if they are rubbery or end up hard. If the stuff end up hard it would still clank. Id like something permanently rubberized in OD green....I know Hogue makes rubberized float tubes...but I want one narrower with vents.

Comment

also a rubber coating would not be as cold to touch for winter hunting.

Comment

I like the wrap but i want permanant

Comment

• customcutter

I've used the bed liner to coat the underside of a mower deck. It's tough and durable, but the one I used had small chunks in it. Good for a grip, but would probably interfer with add on rails, small screws.

Years ago I had the same problem with my first climbing stand. I used some 3/4" pipe insulation on the stand parts that would contact my gun as I rested it on the stand. I also used thick "water proofing" tape that was about 2" wide to tape everything up on the stand. Probably 20 years and most of it is still on there.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                    Yep, I've used it to waterproof the insides of rock boxes, coat pliers and screwdrivers, and to coat the swivels on my wifes cameras so they don't ding the cameras.

The secret is be patient and apply thin coats, don't get in a rush and try to do it all in one thick application. I don't know what colors are available, I've only used Red, Blue, and Black.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      Yep, I've used it to waterproof the insides of rock boxes, coat pliers and screwdrivers, and to coat the swivels on my wifes cameras so they don't ding the cameras.

The secret is be patient and apply thin coats, don't get in a rush and try to do it all in one thick application. I don't know what colors are available, I've only used Red, Blue, and Black.
                      Bwaites, how do you think it would turn out on an aluminum vented handguard? Could black plasti-dip then be painted OD green? would it give a hogue like feel?

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

I actually like the feel, it gets softer as it gets thicker, of course.

If I was doing it and wanted OD green, I'd look for the yellow and get some blue and start mixing. I think painting over it would be tough because it is flexible. Once you painted it, I think the paint would crack and peel, and thats assuming that the paint doesn't start to dissolve it and leave a mess!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                          I've used the bed liner to coat the underside of a mower deck. It's tough and durable, but the one I used had small chunks in it. Good for a grip, but would probably interfer with add on rails, small screws.

Years ago I had the same problem with my first climbing stand. I used some 3/4" pipe insulation on the stand parts that would contact my gun as I rested it on the stand. I also used thick "water proofing" tape that was about 2" wide to tape everything up on the stand. Probably 20 years and most of it is still on there.
                          I wrap the metal rails in my stand as well that way and then wrap the insulation with duct tape. It does a lot of things including sound dampening and adding to one's comfort level.

If I was going to do something to my gun that affecting the barrel like that, I would prefer it to no be permanent. I know that isn't what the OP wants, but I am thinking that he is looking for a long term solution to a short term problem and that maybe the long term solution will not be as useful in the future as circumstances often change.
                          Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12-08-2013, 02:46 AM.
                          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

I agree with JohnOD the mcnett tape give a good grip , insulates, makes it quieter and can be reused. I have used the same tape for 4 years but I don't think I will use it again.

Comment

Working...
                            X