• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smud Dude
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2011

American Sprit Arms Side Charging Upper

Anyone out there have any experience with the ASA side charging upper? I'm putting together a target AR for high power competition, and it's 1 of the contenders.
    Cheers
    Sugabat Sed Pefecidamus 5B89
    The only time you've used too much HE is when you're in the frag zone.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

I was looking at that one and the lar ops which is no longer available the Asa side charger I kinda neat as I uses a non reciprocation charging handle like a fal ultimately I liked the lar better and have one sitting waiting for a barrel

I went with the lar for the potentional of running suppressed and avoiding gas face if not for that factor I would have gotten the asa

On a side note I just built an upper with the dpms heavy flat top upper wich I paid 80 bucks for and it shoots great though it lacks the cool factor of a side charger if your looking for pure target rig it will do the job at a fraction of the cost of a side charger
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Smud Dude
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2011

The side charger in this case is for use with Medesha's adjustable buttstock or the one White Oak sells. That said, if I got the flip up cheek piece that's an option on the Medesha I could still us a charging handle. Then again the gadget guy in me leans to the ASA upper... If it works as advertised.

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

OK, just a little secret. The DPMS Low Profile (Slick Side Upper at Midway $86) can be converted to a side charge if you have the milling access or buy one from these guy's. The main issue will be the Bolt Carrier and drilling it for charge handle.

OR get the full package that is pretty awesome from Quality Arms. http://www.qualityarms.net/side-charger-right

Or again, one more who uses a DPMS Modified. http://6mmar.com/6mmAR_Prices.html
        Last edited by Tedward; 10-06-2013, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

mega also does a side charger but it is less wiz bang than the asa and the asa is spendy, the asa will run around 500 with the bcg, mega will run around 400 with bcg and bolt, so you basically pay 100 for a non reciprocating bolt handle the only thing i dont like about the mega is its a side charger that still accommodates a standard charging handle though some like that feature
          Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 10-06-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            OK, just a little secret. The DPMS Low Profile (Slick Side Upper at Midway $86) can be converted to a side charge if you have the milling access or buy one from these guy's. The main issue will be the Bolt Carrier and drilling it for charge handle.

OR get the full package that is pretty awesome from Quality Arms. http://www.qualityarms.net/side-charger-right

Or again, one more who uses a DPMS Modified. http://6mmar.com/6mmAR_Prices.html
            unless your going to do all the milling and moding your self the mega is a prety good deal 135 for the upper and 265 for the modified bcg which is a young national match carrier

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
              unless your going to do all the milling and moding your self the mega is a prety good deal 135 for the upper and 265 for the modified bcg which is a young national match carrier
              Your right on that but you can't find a Meg SBU Side Charge. I have a couple of the regular non-SC SBU's and they sure are beeffy and have been thinking of going the modify route but no carriers. I have been watching Rainer for a Young Carriers but nothing. I spoke to my metal guy and drilling/tapping the carrier is not doable for him. To hard of metal. I think drilling and tapping needs done before the hardening process, just haven't looked into it that much.

I have been contemplating making a batch of SC DPMS's and working on the bolts thru another source but need the jack. It's all tied up right now. That's how I found the 6mmAR guy's. It's all about availability and money.

Comment

• SG4247
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

IMG_2132.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2136.jpgIMG_2138.jpg

This is an Armalite AR-10 carrier I drilled and tapped a couple weeks ago for side charging.

Not real difficult, be you must have a good mill, and you must use CARBIDE tools.
                NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]3983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3984[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3985[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3986[/ATTACH]

This is an Armalite AR-10 carrier I drilled and tapped a couple weeks ago for side charging.

Not real difficult, be you must have a good mill, and you must use CARBIDE tools.
                  Totally Awesome. I am going to show this to my Machinist and let him know you can drill & tap the carrier. I have been milling my DPMS Uppers for Beowulf's for a while now, opening the ejection ports, but not the side charge. I have one here I want to do the side charge on the left side with the ejection on the right. Also where did you get the charge handle??

Comment

• Smud Dude
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2011

A good mill. Hmmm So the answer is no one has experience with the ASA upper. I do appreciate all the input. I think I'll try this question on the target shooting thread.
                    Again, thanks to the hoard for all the input.

Comment

• SG4247
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                      Totally Awesome. I am going to show this to my Machinist and let him know you can drill & tap the carrier. I have been milling my DPMS Uppers for Beowulf's for a while now, opening the ejection ports, but not the side charge. I have one here I want to do the side charge on the left side with the ejection on the right. Also where did you get the charge handle??
                      Made it myself.... any competent machinist could make one.

I choose stainless for mine, but could be mild steel as well.

Glenn
                      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Smud Dude View Post
                        A good mill. Hmmm So the answer is no one has experience with the ASA upper. I do appreciate all the input. I think I'll try this question on the target shooting thread.
                        Again, thanks to the hoard for all the input.
                        Basically no, no one has direct expierance with the ASA upper that said I can tell you why I choose the lar over the ASA is that having the open port open on the left side of the gun can vent gas into you face

But here is a review I found on ar15.com

I use it, I like it. I like it a lot more than the standard top charging handle. At the price, atleast to me, it is a one time deal. If it was cheaper (it is ridiculously overpriced) all my ARs would have this upper.

Firstly, the logo and BCG deal seems to be a lottery. I received mine with an actual engraved ASA logo and a chrome bolt carrier with a nicly done carrier key staking job. Very slick and doesn't scream too loud. I have heard of others getting laser engraved ASA logos (yuck) and parked carriers. I thought Chris at Addax told me they sent him a complete chrome BCG. I'd find out what I am getting before ordering.

This system isn't really proprietary, all AR parts work fine. The carrier will need a small notch cut in it (see picture here) if you decide to change carriers. The upper last I heard I thought was being shipped with the M4 Enhanced Feedramps. Mine doesn't have them and I could care less, some like 'em and can do it themselves. Read up on the downsides before you do it! But like I said, I believe ASA now does M4 feed ramps.

It will arrive at your door with the charging handle assembly dissassembled. As far as I can tell, you cannot remove the dust cover (I wanted to swap it with a laser engraved one ). The CH assembly is easy enough to put together, no instructions, but then again you cannot really screw it up. It only goes together one way. The billet receiver itself it no doubt, very nicely made and a brass deflector is built in (not that it is that big of a deal considering your rifle should be spitting out brass at apprx 4:00).

Some people are going to point to the slot in the receiver or the lack of a forward assist as a weak point. To me that is a joke. Don't even get me started on this stupid, useless appendage we call a forward assist, that is a major failure point if you ask me. As far as the slot goes, unless you plan on burying your rifle completely in mud I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't like crap doesn't get into "normal" ARs anyways (or anyother rifle for that matter).

The benefits are quite obvious, you can charge your weapon comfortable from any poisition, including while you still have your cheek on the stock and you don't have to remove your master grip (hand on pistol grip). This, coupled with the extended bolt catch makes locking the bolt back extremely easy - it takes less than a second. The CH removes a failure point (ironically it seems the "in thing" lately is to add failure points, but whatever floats your boat I say). Obviously, a right side charging handle would not have any of these advantages (one of the many reasons why I dislike AKs and would not suggest a FA).

Would I buy it again? If I was a rich man, sure would. As of now, I am not willing to put that much down on an upper again. Was it worth it that one time, absolutely. I'd love to put it in a carbine course and run it and have some real feedback, but on the other hand it is just an upper. How often does a stripped upper have problems?

Comment

• Smud Dude
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2011

Thanks mongoosesnipe. Right now ASA is advertising it at $459 w/bcg, or chromed bcg for $50 more. I need to give WOA a call to see if and how much their side charging upper goes for. The 6mmar upper seems ok except that it need a left hand Grendel bolt (does anyone even make one?), or as was pointed out the ambi version ( more $$$) and a regular Grendel bolt. I'm like the guy from AR15 forum in that it would be a 1 time buy. But it could be used in another build.

Comment

Working...
                          X