Foot long Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot long Grendel

I'm in a process of finishing up my Grendel SBR. I've sent SD 14.5" barrel to ADCO to have it shortened to 11.5" and threaded.

It was my first time using them and I was really pleased with they're work. On top of that I've got my barrel back in little over a week including shipping there and back.

I've mocked it up for AAC SCAR-H can:

Handguard was too short.

Nice and clean.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM.

I like this configuration, but at 20" long looks like an SPR instead of and SBR so I've cut the handguard down for Tornado Technology can and end it up with this:

I think it simple, fairly light weight, flows together well and its lot shorter at hair over 16" for a compact carry rifle. It wears Leupold RX-V 1-6 scope w/firedot reticle. Not quite as fast as a red dot on 1x, but it'll zoom to 6x for longer shots.
    It balances well and should be a great yote slayer.

Here it sits next to its bigger brother w/17.5" Saturn barrel for comparison:

Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Add one of these to it and you can put it in your back pack....http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

how much?

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Foot long Coney Grendel! Very trick.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            Add one of these to it and you can put it in your back pack....http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm
            Now that piece of kit is downright sexy, I don't care what anyone says.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
              how much?
              I just ordered one and delivered for $208. Mines going on my Beowulf. 16" Barrel and will be a STUMPY WULF..

Comment

I've thought about it as I have a Mini 14 with a folder, but unlike the mini you can't fire the AR with stock folded. I have one of the Nordic sliders on my 22LR and was thinking of getting the NEA stock for the Grendel.

Nordic Components compact retractable stock.

NEA stock and link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/119957619/...-Carbine-Stock

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Lou,
                  Does that have a buffer in that stubby tube? Or is that a 22LR in the picture? The CMMG 22LR upper I have has no buffer at all.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Just check and guess it is a fully functioning buffer. $360 worth..Pretty nice though...

.http://www.theammosource.com/index.p...oducts_id=2177

Comment

Lou,
                      Does that have a buffer in that stubby tube? Or is that a 22LR in the picture? The CMMG 22LR upper I have has no buffer at all.
                      That's it. It uses a longer bolt carrier with a spring. Here's a quote from the designer: "The nice thing about the setup of the PDW stock is that it is simple to change out recoil springs meaning the lower can be used with different length barrels and different calibers without any fuss or hassle. Just swap uppers, swap recoil springs and everything works. This stock was specifically designed to fit any existing lower receiver without modification to that receiver. I have also suggested a version without the extendible butt so it could be used for AR pistols however I am not sure if that will be made".

Comment

11.5" SB barrel velocity

Well I went to test fire my new stick today and since I'm waiting on a bolt I've robbed one from my Beowulf.
                        First I've bore sighted at 50 yards and zeroed the scope with four shots while adjusting the gas block. I've been using JP adjustable gas block on all of my builds, but on this build I've tried SLR clamp on adjustable gb. Here's a link: http://www.slrrifleworks.com/index.p...&product_id=74
                        It uses spring loaded detent that will not move out of adjustment. It was a piece of cake to set it up and I like it so much I'll probably replace it on all of my rifles down the road.
                        At 100 yard line I've re-zeroed the scope w/suppressor on and chronoed some loads.

123gr Amax: 11.5" Sabre Defence - 2348.8; 17.5" Satern - 2535
                        90gr TNT: 11.5" Sabre Defence - 2450; 17.5" Satern - 2733.3

These were factory loads and the 11.5" SB barrel was suppressed w/Tornado Technology suppressor. I've used the 17.5" Satern barrel for comparison, but it wasn't suppressed.
                        This will get me 1,000 ft/lbs at 250 yards w/123gr Amax. Look out coyotes and whitetails!
                        I've only put 30 rounds down the pipe, but it was without any malfunctions and I'm extremely happy with the rifle and its performance so far. 9 round sting of 123 Amax under 2" with a bipod with few 3 round shots under 1" with 6x scope
                        Let's get some fur!

Comment

So with Hornady's 123gr A-MAX factory load, you're getting what Hornady posts for a 16" barrel, velocity-wise.

I also noticed that one of our fellow forum members put a 14.5" Grendel together with one of the recent Saber barrels from Brownell's (gone quickly), and he got 2420fps average. With my 16", I get 2460fps average. Most 18" Grendels push the 123gr A-MAX at 2500fps.

That 11.5" performance stays supersonic past 900yds at sea level, in 59 F temp. That's very efficient performance for such a short barrel.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

But that 11.5 inch isn't really an 11.5 inch when you include the suppressor. From what I've seen on the internet and talked with friends running suppressors, that suppressor increases velocity like another 3-4 inches would. BUT...its still cool!

Comment

You're lucky to get 10-15fps suppressor boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X