Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RocketScientist

First Grendel Build is COMPLETE! (pics)

Well, with some help from the Horde, I have successfully completed assembly of my first Grendel AR, and my first build that didn't use a barreled upper. Attached are some pics. Here are some specs:

Stock: Magpul PRS (generic receiver extension/spring/rifle buffer)
    Lower: Palmetto State blem'd (generic LPK, grip)
    Trigger: Geissele Super Semi-Auotmatic - Enhanced (SSA-E)
    Upper: R Guns NiB upper, R Guns NiB bolt/BCG (generic dust cover, forward assist)
    Forearm: Yankee Hill 'Todd Jarret' extended rifle length free float
    Barrel: Alexander Arms 20" Heavy profile, PRI low-pro gas block, WCI muzzle Brake

I welcome any questions, comments, etc. Thanks for all the help guys!!

DSC00343.jpgDSC00337.jpgDSC00356.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot who can't type
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Very nice be sure to post a range report. You have any idea what optics your going to use?

Comment

• RocketScientist

Haven't decided for SURE yet, but am strongly leaning towards the new SWFA Super Sniper 3-15x42 FFP scope. Has a lot of the features I want, a solid reputation, good reviews so far, and <gasp> a reasonable price tag. I'm open to other suggestions, though I'm looking in about that price range (~$700) and would really like a FFP scope.

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

• waveslayer
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

Vortex for the money.

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
          Vortex for the money.
          Vortex Viper HS is on sale at Cabela's, but calls for code for all different powers. Post what your looking for and I'll post back the code...4-16x44 BDC is $499.99 and the 4-16x50 BDC is $549.99 the Long Range is $50 more per size listed.

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            Vortex Viper HS is on sale at Cabela's, but calls for code for all different powers. Post what your looking for and I'll post back the code...4-16x44 BDC is $499.99 and the 4-16x50 BDC is $549.99 the Long Range is $50 more per size listed.
            Same at Camera Land so Cabelas is not real deal. For the same price I would use Camera Land....

Comment

Gotta let me know how that BCG works for you because I was looking at that same one to put my Satern Bolt in. I also was looking at that handguard but the weight was less for the diamond so I went with it.

Comment

• RocketScientist

I was considering various vortex options for awhile, but I was looking for a first-focal-plane scope, and the Vortex offerings in FFP (either in the HS or PST lines) are $150-200 higher than the SWFA I am looking at, plus I've read on a few forums/reviews by people who own (or have looked through) both that the SWFA glass is as good, if not a little better.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Thats cool. I'm getting ready to make the move myself on a more powerful scope. I have a Vortex Diamondhead 2-7x35 for close shooting and to get dialed in. Now I need the 16 to 20 power for the longer shooting and Vortex is near the top of my pick. The Vortex at dusk was unbelievable. I could see better thru the scope than the naked eye.

Comment

• RocketScientist

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                    Gotta let me know how that BCG works for you because I was looking at that same one to put my Satern Bolt in. I also was looking at that handguard but the weight was less for the diamond so I went with it.
                    I haven't shot it yet, but just on a visual, the BCG looks legit... no terrible machining marks, gas key seems well staked, etc. It cycles in my gun fine, and the coating seems decent quality, nice and smooth, no obvious blemishes etc. I can take some close-up pictures and post them if you're interested.

I picked the handguard because it was relatively slim, had a minimum of rails, and (most importantly) found someplace that had a ridiculous price on it at the time

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by RocketScientist View Post
                      I haven't shot it yet, but just on a visual, the BCG looks legit... no terrible machining marks, gas key seems well staked, etc. It cycles in my gun fine, and the coating seems decent quality, nice and smooth, no obvious blemishes etc. I can take some close-up pictures and post them if you're interested.

I picked the handguard because it was relatively slim, had a minimum of rails, and (most importantly) found someplace that had a ridiculous price on it at the time
                      I have R-Guns BCG I use for Beowulfs and work fine. Mine aren't the Nib but all the same I imagine. They just put there stamp "RG" on the bolt carrier when someone makes them for R-Guns. They don't make anything just like 99% of the manufactures.

As for the HG, really like them but to pricey for me. Where di you get a deal on them, might be for my next upper....

Comment

• RocketScientist

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                        As for the HG, really like them but to pricey for me. Where di you get a deal on them, might be for my next upper....
                        To be honest I don't recall, I'll have to check my records when I get home. If I remember though, it was a returned good, or "blemished" or something like that from a smaller retailer, I seem to remember thinking I was very lucky to have stumbled across it. I'll see what info I cand ig up though.

Comment

Very nice. Looks like a labor of love and you did your homework. I imagine your dieing to shoot it, we'll look forward to a range report.

Comment

Working...
                          X