• Show
Clear All
  • cantgrowup

AR boreguide for Grendel?

Who makes one and where to get it?
  • Y85
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

No one that I know of - I tried for months to find one. So far, I've bore sighted by removing the lower and the BCG, fixing the upper in a vise and zeroing the scope onto a target that I can see by looking down the bore. Works pretty well - one of the other guys described it to me. Certainly gets on paper at 50 yds w.o firing a shot

Comment

• Overwatcher

Satern does.

Comment

• Y85
        Warrior
        • Sep 2012

Oops - sorry, misread the title.

Comment

• Overwatcher

Originally posted by Y85 View Post
          No one that I know of - I tried for months to find one. So far, I've bore sighted by removing the lower and the BCG, fixing the upper in a vise and zeroing the scope onto a target that I can see by looking down the bore. Works pretty well - one of the other guys described it to me. Certainly gets on paper at 50 yds w.o firing a shot
          I think you are talking about a laser bore sighter,a bore guide is for cleaning.

Comment

Satern and Sinclair. I think the one at Sinclair is about 8 bucks cheaper. I have one and love it.

Comment

• lilharcher
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

I have the Satern and love it. Use in on both my grendels and my creedmoor as well. I got mine from MidwayUSA.

Comment

i have the one from Satern. I think its actually made by Delrin. I think dont hold me to that. But it works great and its easy to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                  i have the one from Satern. I think its actually made by Delrin. I think dont hold me to that. But it works great and its easy to clean up.
                  Delrin is a material used in the industry for certain tools and fixtures where strength and uniformity are important, without metal content as to not mar a surface. I use Delrin punches all the time when dealing with AR15 work. Great stuff.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

So is Delrin a poly or carbon fiber material? If so, ya, punches made of them are great. I have a couple i use made of something black that work great on the trigger pins. Scratched my first STAG lower with the brass ones then got the black plastic/carbon or what ever it is....

Back the my real question. What are the bore guides used for? Cleaning? I saw them on Saturn a long time ago and don't understand how it works.

Comment

Tedward

They are used for cleaning. The bore guide keeps you're rod centered as you push through barrel

Comment

• explorecaves

Delrin = Engineered thermoplastic

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                          Tedward

They are used for cleaning. The bore guide keeps you're rod centered as you push through barrel
                          OK, I was wonder what they were used for. I actually put some shrink tube over my "Cheap" Hoops 5 piece set at the joints so it doesn't touch the barrel. I also used twisted split tube cable wrap on the shafts I have for dressing out cables. I just thought protecting the barrel from the cleaning rod was a good idea from day one, well with my 12awg it really isn't as important...

After reading the trend, i did look at Sinclairs and see all the different one piece cleaning rods. Do the Bore Guides take a specific rod? Are the open enough to just order the set they offer and then get the different bore guides? Looks like that will be needed in the future, my rig sounds like it need modernized to something that is already avalible...

Thansk for the help, the O-rings is what thru me off, I thought t was to hold in cleaner solution or something....maybe that too...

Comment

• lilharcher
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2013

Different calibers take different rod thickness, and so do the bore guides. A 6.5 bore guide will not fit into .223 barrel. And say a .308 cleaning rod will not fit into a .223 barrel for instance. If you go to midwayUSA, you can see all the various sizes.

Comment

I use a 22-26 cal rod for all my cleaning. The only other rod I have is a Tipton shotgun rod. The above rod will fit all bore guides. If you're doing a lot of large bore cleaning, you might get a larger rod too, as it will flex less in say, a .308.

Comment

Working...
                              X