Cracked Beowulf brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Beowulf brass

Has anyone heard of or seen Beowulf brass cracking like this? Its factory AA loading with 350gr brass bullets. 2 out of the 75 I have shot have done this. I'm not really concerned about it, just curious if this is a common Beowulf problem or a fluke.

• pds
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

I've seen over-sized chambers in other calibers have this effect on fired brass..

pds

Comment

I have seen this once with some hand loaded ammo, 32.5g of H110 - S&B primer - 500g Hornady XTP. Only one out of 250, If I remember correctly it was a star line case.

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Is it a new barrel or did you buy it used?

Comment

Bought it new. AA pistol upper I got from Midway. I would certainly hope AA would cut the chamber right, but I suppose it's possible (and the theory makes sense.)

Comment

• Bill Alexander

It is a slip plane in the brass construction. The same thing that lets the case draw during production will on occasion cause a problem. We have seen a few of these over the years. Apart from the case problem at the pressure beowulf runs, it does not pose a problem for weapon or shooter. Call the office and let them know and we will get you replacement cases/ammo.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

I've been shooting the heck out of 335 AA Ammo lately and love it. All my freainds want to shoot it so I let them run 7 rounds and blow up water melons, cantaloupes and frozen Milk Jugs. They blow up 30 foot diameters. What a hoot of a round, can't wait to use it on some hogs....Sorry Bill but it is a 12.7x42 Liberty, all I could get but runs great... Hundreds of rounds down and need more ammo.

Comment

i have one of the .50 beo barrels from back when satern was still doing the actual beowulf. I have never had that problem and its accurate as hell and cycles anything. I would say thats probably just a defective piece of brass. If it was doing it to all of them i would think something is up.

Comment

Working...
                X