• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    I don't clean at the range except as a last resort when something goes very wrong, so my barrels are always cold when I clean. I think some benchrest shooters usually try to clean while the barrel is still cooling down.
    So it looks as if it really doesn't make to much difference. But I guess the basics are remove the soil and oil...re-oil and gun sock it then store it...or just keep shooting....

I just ran a brand new Nib X BCG on a 308 I am going to sell to make sure it cycled correctly. After 10 rounds the film was embedded so bad nothing will clean it off. I tried a few different cleaners and now the pretty colored shinny carrier is not so perty anymore. Most of my BCG's are JP SS and clean up nice. The others that are Black Phosphate just don't show the burned stains because there black. So I guess the Nib stuff isn't so wonderful and not able to be cleaned as advertized. It is smooth and clean feeling but not stain free. Any suggestions on how to get it clean???

Guess selling it as new is still true but I'll give them the spent cases to show it worked fine.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Fte

After 60 rounds of ball powder reloads, I get failures to extract unless I clean the chamber.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Good fun, as Bwaites planned for. Cotntop-I was taught same as you. Seems we each go thru our own version of dirty chamber issues..

You live near Fort Bragg.

What is the official military cleaning regimin? Could you -break it down?

L-52 claims that he Rarely cleans his rifles bbls.--the idea is keep the actions well lubed, clean out the obvious chunks, etc.

I liked his idea of the Slip 2000 lube== it's been fine here.

I built a 7.62x40WT this winter-shot it when I had time=couple hundred shots-cleaned it last week, after 4 months.
        Barrel was sooty-minimal copper residue. Quality barrel to start with=SS=top notch.
        The BCG was just as sooty- wiped clean=re-lubed. Powder was H110.
        Bolt face-needed minimal scrub w/ a dry old t-brush-then same lube job. Runs fine-I will trust it anywhere-anytime.,

Cal ship--many have wondered about the chamber -so called (break in period)=yeah, maybe certain powders gunk up the chambers to cause an issue, or 2 ?
        I told a few to clean the chamber after each 20 round cycle-maybe a diff. powder would cure that ? Captk had a rough time w/ a chamber issue=we tried to sort it out-he gave up, sold the rifle. Try a diff. approach, change a something up.

I really like the cfe 223 powder. Does it all . With a few other powders-I can get the same performance-yet w/ no copper residue bbl. cleaning!
        Last edited by sneaky one; 08-02-2013, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
          Cal ship--many have wondered about the chamber -so called (break in period)=yeah, maybe certain powders gunk up the chambers to cause an issue, or 2 ?
          I told a few to clean the chamber after each 20 round cycle-maybe a diff. powder would cure that ? Captk had a rough time w/ a chamber issue=we tried to sort it out-he gave up, sold the rifle. Try a diff. approach, change a something up.

I really like the cfe 223 powder. Does it all . With a few other powders-I can get the same performance-yet w/ no copper residue bbl. cleaning!
          I can shoot factory ammo all day long without cleaning, and that includes wolf! Its only my win 748 and BLC2 loads that cause a sticky chamber. Ill have to find some CFW 223 for my next load.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Calship-thats great data , it may help a few that shoot w/ those powders. I never liked BlC2-filthy stinky crap-sadly it is an accurate powder-I sold mine.

Cfe is the latest king to the throne-bar none. Seems as tho the factory ammo, has been tweaked to perfection-so the manuf. doesn't look bad. Custom blends-?? who knows.

What kind -size of ships do you build-btw?

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Great info. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
              X