Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question: Cleaning rod size

So...

I have my Grendel together and should be taking it out soon.
    Putting together cleaning items and I find that at Midway USA, our .265 barrel size is smack in the middle of the 2 ranges 0.22 to 0.26 and 0.26 up.

I'm assuming it doesn't really matter, but am leaning towards the larger rod, thinking it would theoretically be less likely to bend while in the barrel being guided through (which I think is more theoretically a problem than really a problem).

What say you experts of the Grendel?

Also, my plan is to get a Tipton 1-piece rod, brush, jag, and Lucas bore guide. Anything I'm forgetting or that would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mic

Alexander Arms sells a cleaning kit for the Grendel. That's where I got mine anyway. Just an option..

Comment

I saw that, but I'm looking to go with the cleaning rod option. Thanks for throwing it out there.

Comment

• babaganoush
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

I went with the Dewey 1-Piece Cleaning Rod, 22 to 26 Caliber 36" Nylon Coated. (Dewey # 22C-36) Works well for my .223's as well as my .264, and the nylon mitigates any potential bending issues. Don't forget the Jags, either.
        "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• wheelguner
          Warrior
          • Oct 2011

Sharp Shoot R the folks that made my favorite bore cleaner, Patch Out, offer a rod for .264 and up:

Having mentioned this I have been using 22cal rounds for my 6.5x55, 260 Rem and my Grendels for many years with complete satisfaction.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

A steel rod won't go through my barrels, but that's just me.

That kit AA sells has a coated wire. I have one similar that I use when I NEED to run a cloth through it or knock out a bullet when I use my OAL gauge.

I primarily use a 6mm bore snake, not a 6.5mm. The 6.5mm seems to be to big.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by babaganoush View Post
              I went with the Dewey 1-Piece Cleaning Rod, 22 to 26 Caliber 36" Nylon Coated. (Dewey # 22C-36) Works well for my .223's as well as my .264, and the nylon mitigates any potential bending issues. Don't forget the Jags, either.
              This what I use and I also bought a guide which centers the rod into the chamber on AR-15's.

Comment

• babaganoush
                Warrior
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                A steel rod won't go through my barrels, but that's just me.
                +1

I have been contemplating getting a bore snake for use in the field, but they just haven't been available at the shops when I have been by to look for one. I guess I'll just have to mail-order instead.
                "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by babaganoush View Post
                  +1

I have been contemplating getting a bore snake for use in the field, but they just haven't been available at the shops when I have been by to look for one. I guess I'll just have to mail-order instead.
                  I've got one for every caliber I own. My Grendel is the only one that didn't fit well.

My normal post range procedure is to run the barrel with a boresnake and a quick wipe down of the components with a rag.

That's all I do unless I notice a build up.

I ordered most of mine off Amazon.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Mic

Get yourself a Sinclair rod guide for the Grendel. I have one of those, a Tipton 22-26 caliber rod and the appropriate jag and patches. I think my patches are Montana extreme. I've had em so long the label is worn off as I think I ordered 5000 at the time. If you have many different calibers , get a complete jag set. I also have a Tipton brush set in case the carbon really builds up. As far as bore solvents, butchs bore shine is very effective but won't harm your steel if some gets left in pipe. After that some clp as a corrosion preventive will work fine.

Comment

I've seen more crowns damaged with bore snake and similar pull through systems than I have with steel rods. At least with the rod you can use a guide and keep any wear to a minimum. With a bore snake, unless the cord is pulled down the center line with precision it will abrade the most critical element of accuracy, the final thing the bullet contacts in the barrel, the crown. All it takes is a little off center wear and suddenly you have more gas escaping around one side of the bullet than the other and inducing yaw. Use bore snakes occasionally and with care and they are great. Use them as your main cleaning regiment and you will shorten the useful life of a barrel. At least that's what I've seen on barrels pulled with low round counts that would no longer hold the ten ring at 600 yards.
                      The most satisfactory cleaning system that I see that is widely used with great success, is the Dewey rod coupled with a bore guide. There are other great rods out there but the Dewy works well and is reasonably affordable and readily available. You want the largest size that will fit your bore to reduce flexing.

Right now at the national matches at Camp Perry ohio, there are around 1,300 competitors on the staging area, assembly line, or firing line, I would wager 75% or greater have a Dewey rod with them. There is a reason for that.
                      PS my buddys keep texting me on how the matches are going, my first year in many not being there, they think it makes me happy, but no, I'd much rather be there than stuck in town doing business deals.
                      Bob

Comment

Okay, that's 3 people feeding back to go with the 22 to 26 and none to go with the larger size, so that settles it.

Thanks for all the feedback! You guys are great and it's really appreciated.

Mic

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

I use the Tipton carbon fiber rods on my riles on my rifles with a bore guide and I lean from the breach on rifles that I can't use a rod fom the breach I use an otispull through kit
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Sarge12486

awaiting my upper I was also wondering the same thing so thanks for asking.

Also, what size brush do you guys use???

Comment

Sarge

Unless you're wrapping with a patch use the corresponding size for your bore. The only time I wrap a patch on a worn or undersized brush is for heavy carbon/ carbon ring removal.

Comment

Working...
                              X