B B B B Barrels (with matched bolt) suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B B B B Barrels (with matched bolt) suggestions...

Looking for a 20" barrel and bolt combo that is chambered in true 6.5 Grendel and will fit an AR and deliver very good accuracy.

Would like it black and keep the flash hider on the end.

Prefer a good value as money is tight.

I just want to replace the 6.5 "sporter" barrel that came on this M1S upper with a properly milled chamber for the cartridge. I am convinced all the rest of the portions of the gun are solid as the M1S barrel was delivering just a hair over MOA with 123 Horn AMax factory.

Anyone?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Kegs define good value, please?

I've been shopping for a black 16" barrel. I've come to find all Grendel Barrel Manufacturers charge roughly the same, when everything is said and done. A black 16" 1:7.5 twist fluted is going to run me ~$550 anyway I go.

Your best bet is likely to keep an eye on midway and take what you can get when something comes in stock. Keep in mind you can always get a good gunsmith to thread the barrel for you.

It seems all manufacturers are running a lead time of at least 16 weeks. And the reputable shops don't require your money until the barrel is ready.

I'd suggest ordering exactly what you want and putting a quarter of the cost back every month until the 16 week wait is up. If you're anything like me, If you don't get exactly what you want now, you will eventually and you'll just pay several hundred more dollars in the long run.

I'm leaning towards placing an order with Satern and plan to have it in time to work up loads for next hunting season. I won't be able to this hunting season thanks to the way Templar Customs did me.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Cory - good question. I was figuring I could find one for around $400 or so, but not sure. Is there really nobody who has one in stock or could build one in a couple of weeks? Everyone is THAT busy? I thought it was getting crazy with the ammo a few months ago. Maybe I should open a shop!

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kegs View Post
          Cory - good question. I was figuring I could find one for around $400 or so, but not sure. Is there really nobody who has one in stock or could build one in a couple of weeks? Everyone is THAT busy? I thought it was getting crazy with the ammo a few months ago. Maybe I should open a shop!
          Yup, it is. Unless you've got a gunsmith on retainer! He could rent a reamer if he happened to have a 6.5 barrel blank and barrel extension and do it, but other than that, its a tight market. Even barrel blanks are hard to come by.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Yup, it is. Unless you've got a gunsmith on retainer! He could rent a reamer if he happened to have a 6.5 barrel blank and barrel extension and do it, but other than that, its a tight market. Even barrel blanks are hard to come by.
            bwaites I've been looking into doing that with a Lilja barrel and extension. It's going to take me 16 weeks to get the blank and who knows how long it'll take me to get a bolt from AA. After I pay for the blank, extension, bolt, and gunsmith I'm looking at $600+ and then to have it treated or cerakoted to make it black.

If a specific length or twist isn't important then I suppose someone might get lucky. Lilja shows some 6.5 barrels in stock 1:8 and 1:9 twists. They'll likely require an extension added by a gunsmith and finding a Grendel Bolt, but it may be worth inquiring too.

However, you're more likely to find bigfoot than a new Grendel Bolt in the next 6 months. Just be ready to beat him with your lower, you're certainly not going to have a barrel and bolt to shoot him with.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Black hole weaponry. I got my 24" barrel for$315 in black. Not positive on prices now, i ordered mine last November, but i believe they are still under $400.
              Zach

Comment

• lilharcher
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

I own a BHW barrel but it is a .264 LBC technically......I think he is looking for a true 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

I shoulda payed more attention 2 the OP. Bhw doesn't sell bolts. N they r .264 as lilharcher said.

Comment

How does it shoot? I have one in transit at the moment.

Originally posted by lilharcher View Post
                    I own a BHW barrel but it is a .264 LBC technically......I think he is looking for a true 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

I am back to thinking about just picking up a 7.62 x 39 bolt for this M1S gun. The gun was shooting pretty good, I just think it's a less robust design than the obviously properly designed Grendel chamber.

Comment

I still want to obtain a Grendel barrel & bolt. Maybe AA sells one. I can wait a while for better quality stuff. For now, I just need something to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                        X