• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Barrel Contour

I'm thinking about placing an order for a Satern Barrel, but I have no clue which contour to select. Honestly, I don't know the difference in them.

Could someone please explain the difference in contours?

I did a 6.5grendel google search on contours and satern. I came across talk of a Satern Spartan barrel, but no explanation to what that was and I couldn't find mention of it on their site. Could someone please explain?

Has anyone received a Satern barrel in the last few months? How long was your wait?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Steve Satern, the owner is a high power competitor and will more than likely be at the national matches through the first week of August. They build great barrels but the waits are long, could be up to a year or sometimes a week depending upon how many are in line in front of you for that particular set up. I've shot with him a few times at the national matches. I would characterize him as a great machinist with a backlog that means he doesn't need to be a great business man. That backlog has been there for years, not just a blip due to current circumstances.
    The profiles listed on his web site are mostly for bolt rifles and have nothing to do with AR barrels but here is a link to the dimensions http://saternmachining.com/barrel_contours
    For AR's he makes mostly Service Rifle barrels 20" long and Match Rifle barrels, which are heavy 24-26-28' barrels for NRA Match Rifles built on AR platforms. He also made the barrels for the Ultralight AA uppers which were 14.5 or 16" heavily fluted profiles. He will build anything you want but it will be hard to get ahold of him to discuss. I've owned several of his barrels and all have been shooters. I would say equal to Krieger.
    Bob

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
      Steve Satern, the owner is a high power competitor and will more than likely be at the national matches through the first week of August. They build great barrels but the waits are long, could be up to a year or sometimes a week depending upon how many are in line in front of you for that particular set up. I've shot with him a few times at the national matches. I would characterize him as a great machinist with a backlog that means he doesn't need to be a great business man. That backlog has been there for years, not just a blip due to current circumstances.
      The profiles listed on his web site are mostly for bolt rifles and have nothing to do with AR barrels but here is a link to the dimensions http://saternmachining.com/barrel_contours
      For AR's he makes mostly Service Rifle barrels 20" long and Match Rifle barrels, which are heavy 24-26-28' barrels for NRA Match Rifles built on AR platforms. He also made the barrels for the Ultralight AA uppers which were 14.5 or 16" heavily fluted profiles. He will build anything you want but it will be hard to get ahold of him to discuss. I've owned several of his barrels and all have been shooters. I would say equal to Krieger.
      Bob
      Thanks Stokersrj! That's what I figured the wait would be, I was just hoping I was wrong. Equal to Krieger? That's impressive I do feel better about that kind of wait now.

I had looked through the link you posted. That's what confused me. haha. My question was more...

What's the design intent of the different contours?

Pros/Cons
      Do any of the contours have any affect on accuracy?

I used the 6.5 Grendel search engine and couldn't find a thread discussing different barrel contours. I was hoping this could be that for future reference gor those who are as ignorant on the subject as me.
      Last edited by cory; 07-25-2013, 03:25 PM.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• lilharcher
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

Good timing.....I emailed Maranda (sales manager) at Satern yesterday to discuss lead time, barrel only option, and to request details regarding the light and medium AR contours. Maranda has been very responsive thus far. I will likely be supplying my own bolt to be head spaced with the barrel, which may or may not reduce the lead time. Maranda has told me that the grendel backlog is rather long (most popular AR barrel manufactired at Satern right now). I am hoping to get the contour information tomorrow. When I do, I will share it here.

Comment

Working...
        X