Polymer lower receivers and Vulcan V18 rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

This Has Been A Timely Forum Topic For Me. Yesterday Friends Of Mine Was Offered An Opportunity To Buy One Of The Vulca50Bmg Guns With Optics And Ammo. I Was Looking Up Information/ Reviews On The Gun And Didn't Find Many Things Favorable About It. Fast Forward An Hour Or So And This Topic Pops Up. I Think My Friend At The Time Was Leaning On The Side Of The Fence That Would Have Got His face Blown Off.

Comment

So put the vulcan crap aside..... Are the polymer lowers worth the risk? As far as other manufacturers? I went the other way from them many times.

Terry

Comment

• MrDraco
        Warrior
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Peck1631 View Post
        So put the vulcan crap aside..... Are the polymer lowers worth the risk? As far as other manufacturers? I went the other way from them many times.

Terry
        From a quality manufacturer, yes I would use one. But as always, do your research on the manufacturer before buying one.

Comment

• Keep The Change
          Warrior
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
          L-52 ,From my metallurgy notes, photos=that is a CAST potmetal cheapo aluminum rec.== JUNK x 10 !!!!

Only use the units that say, at the minimum=6061, 6065.- 7075 is the top, as far as forged cnc milled units go. Accept nothing less.

I owned a cheapo Jennings .22 lr semi -mini pistol in the 80's=it blew a small piece of bbl., & receiver & brass- from the extractor area into my skin -near my rt. index finger, and cartiladge=I was minimally hurt, yet what about an eyeball incident? Put a price on your own LIFE, then stay w/ that idealism.
          OMG!
          I agree with sneaky one on this. That looks cast to me. You would think there would be some oblonging happening on the front pivot pin. But if it is cast it may have fractured before the load got redistributed to the front take down pin.

I've seen lowers/uppers made of 6061 on high end AR-15's, but I think I would only want mine to be 7075. Now I'm sure there is plenty margin of safety on a forged 6061 aluminum that there is nothing to worry about. But as an engineer, it is natural for an engineer to over engineer something.

Comment

• Keep The Change
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            Just watched the video and yes, BS and if a person did not know what they were doing to inspect the gun it could be a deadly situation. On another note, here is an ATI Buffer tube I got this winter. LUCKILY a guy at the gun shop pulled off the stock and noticed the defective buffer tube. If I had fired a round, 556 or my Beowulf I could have had a deadly shot. Again where is the liability and who do you notify for these manufactures negligence. I wasn't hurt but what if they do this all the time and someone had pulled the trigger. Also when I told them this they said send it back and we'll send you another. I made them send me a new one first and kept my evidence. So if I ever here of something happening, I've got there defective on hand.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3399[/ATTACH]
            Wow, that is crazy. I'm sure the plastic butt stock would've stopped it. LOL!
            Man that is really scary.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Ted, it must be a knock off cast alum. unit,, or a Saturday nite special in the cheezy plastics , &, ? mixed in items catigory.

Comment

That extension tube is quality right there...no enclosure at all! Can we say massive QC failure on how many levels? In this current market, I would only buy from reputable companies that have a good QC and CS record.

There are precious few AR15 manufacturers who even know of the existence of a TDP for the AR15, let alone have seen it.

Comment

Working...
                X