X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

That is awesome LRRPF52. Its an amazing round and crazy that it can do that from a 16"
    Awesome shooting. Ill be dreaming about doing that one day.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
      Warrior
      • Apr 2013

"The lieutenant grabbed hs sergeant's Sharps carbine, dropped the lever, slipped a linen cartridge into the open chamber, closed the action, cocked the hammer and capped the nipple. Using a fence rail for a rest, he jacked up the sights to what he thought an appropriate height for the range and squeezed off a shot at the advancing Confederate infantry, some 600 yds. away. The bullet hit the ground in a puff of dust halfway to the Rebs. He had miscalculated, . . . " The Guns of Gettysburg, American Rifleman, July 2013, cover story.

As I read the account of the first shot fired at the Battle of Gettysburg, 150 years ago, I was reminded to the comments shared by LRRPF52, in his recent Thread, Took My 16" Grendel out to 1200 yds This Weekend (read: all in a day's work for the little cartridge that could --- with some assist from an experienced rifleman).

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      . . . I was really in a hurry to get home, but couldn't resist seeing what my little 16" Grendel would do at that distance, so I hopped up in my truck, discreetly pulled out my phone as I squatted down, and plugged in the data to see what my elevation would be for the shot. . . . It gave me 14.4 mils (49.5 MOA) for the 123gr A-MAX at 2450fps at 4400ft ASL, with 81 F temp. I had the atmospherics in already, but only ran my dope out to 1000yds since I have really only shot the 16" out to 600yds, maybe 700yds at BoomerShoot once. . . . I got on the hood of one of their trucks, started cranking like crazy on my elevation turret until I hit 14.4 Mils. There was literally no wind that I could see, but I held a little left because I just had a feeling that there was some canyon effect between the ridge we were on, and the one we were shooting, because we had winds up to 12mph earlier in the day from there. I settled the gun's NPOA like I do, and kept the reticle as centered as possible as I broke the shot. . . . To them, it looked like a hit, but I could see I was just a little low and left, so I corrected and put 3 or 4 more shots on the target, which was just a little dry patch of dirt on the grass at that distance, that couldn't have been wider than .4 Mils, and no taller than .3 Mils (so basically a 3ftx4ft oval target). I was surprised at how easy it was to hit consistently and repeatedly at 1200yds with a little 16" Grendel, . . . This is making me re-think the maximum effective range of the little carbine, . . .

Comment

• jawbone
        Warrior
        • Jan 2012

a little late to the party on this thread, but i gotta say, this is hands down one of the most interesting and entertaining posts i've seen.

many thanks, LRRP. made my night. actually gonna go back and read it again. hell, i might even thank you again!

Comment

dont know how i missed this one! thats pretty amazing from a little 16" carbine! great post as always LR52

Comment

I openly volunteer that a lot of the performance was due to no wind, higher temps, and high altitude, but 6.5mm plays a huge part in it too. The high BC's are not just numbers on a paper...they really do equate to something substantial.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Was just thinking about that weekend back in 2013, and how it changed the way I look at this cartridge.

I feel bad because there were some other forum members who had made similar claims of shooting out to 1200, 1300, and maybe even farther up in Idaho.

We called BS here on the forum, and I haven't seen them since. I figured from a 16" carbine that it was a 700yd at best, maybe 800yd capable in no or low wind conditions.

After shooting these things at 1000yds and farther, I keep wanting more range for a challenge. Sorry to those who we drove off. That isn't like us normally here.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X