State of the Grendel industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Grendel industry?

I'm finally in the process of building a Grendel. Is the Grendel specific industry getting stronger or becoming more popular? I see that people are having a heck of a time finding barrels and bolts. I am having trouble deciding on which length barrel to use. I want to have 1000 yard capability but dont want a 24 inch barrel. Ideas welcome.
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Don't want a 24" barrel?
    Get a 28" barrel then. LOL

I'm new to the Grendel and in new I mean I'm trying to build my first one. I would go ahead and order a bolt now though. You might try just getting a 264 LBC bolt from Les Bauer. They currently have some in stock last I checked, so that would be an option or you could wait a long time for an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel bolt. I have an AA bolt on order but I also got a 264 LBC as well.

As far as I see, the round has nowhere to go but up in popularity. It's just a matter of people finding out about it and really looking into the round and it's performance itself. It is really an obvious choice for an all around cartridge for the AR-15 platform. So I see the market growing for sure as it becomes more noticed by AR owners. The only reason that some may not consider it is due to availability of barrels and bolts.

If you drop down to a 22" barrel, you will lose about 120 FPS I believe. I think the drop off is around 60 fps per inch of barrel. Guys will chime in and correct me on this if I'm off. I think the round is maximized in a 24" barrel. I think past that, the FPS is fairly neglible.

Comment

I cannot personally speak to the state of the industry beyond the blanket comment that the entire firearms industry was upset (to put it mildly) by the panic buying of Dec '12 through April '13. It appears to be tapering off now but remember regaining a sense of normalcy will take time. Some items will continue to be in short supply, some will never return to the shelves, and some will be so overstocked that bargains will be there to be had.

I can, however, help with the tools to help you decide on which barrel length to use.

You will find that any barrel length will function reasonably well at 1000 yard with the 24" to 28" barrels having a slight edge in minimizing wind drift. Folks like BWaites, LRRPF52, LR1955 and other serious long range Grendel fanciers will quickly tell you that a serious 1000 yard shooter will likely have better success with a different cartridge. That having been acknowledged, the Grendel does well enough that these and other folks have a lot of fun using the Grendel at 1000 yards and further while using barrels as short as 16" and as long as 28". This means that the barrel length to use is the one that best catches your fancy.

So, how do you decide on your barrel length if you are not completely comfortable with the sometimes conflicting advice here and other forums? First, decide on what barrel length will be the most comfortable to handle without regard to ballistics. Then assess the regrets inflicted on you by going that much shorter than 24 inches.

You can get a feel for how much a short barrel will cost your ability to hit at long range by first using any of the techniques, LR1955's 35 fps/inch, Quickload, the chart in this forum, the Grendel Reloading Handbook, or this on-line resource to see what the velocity for your load will likely be in that barrel. The velocity by itself tells only a small part of the story.

You will almost certainly use a laser for range-finding at those distances, so differences in drop between a 16" and a 24" barrel won't make a difference in the work you have to do to get the right amount of elevation.

The big bear in the long range world is wind drift. Use any of the many ballistic calculators to estimate the 1000 yard drift with a 2 mph wind speed for your load in both barrel lengths. Is that difference within your ability to hold?

Chances are you will find that a 16" or 18" barrel will do just fine.

Let us know what you discover --

Comment

Locally, in Idaho. I can tell you that the Grendel is growing in popularity. I am hearing the name pop up more in conversations I have having. I would have to say, more of my friends are also moving to a grendel after they have shot mine. We are struggling to get ammo, but have been able to get plenty. My local gun builder seems to have more barrels and ammo to buy so, I don't know. I think we are seeing some rebound. I just hope it keeps going before there is another panic

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Truthfully, the loss in velocity between 28" and 20" is closer to 10-15 FPS than 35. Below 20 inches, it becomes closer to that 35, but I don't have anything to compare it with myself, since I have only 20 and 28 inch barrels.

AA lists the 123 Lapua factory load at 2620 from a 24" and 2565 from a 19.5 inch, which works out to 12 FPS. My 28" shoots those loads at 2670, so the difference between 19.5 and 28 inches is also about 12 FPS. Losing 100 FPS for 8 inches of length isn't a huge loss in my mind. Its significant enough if you are shooting competitively at 1000 yards, but not for most shooting. That same load drops about another 80 FPS in a 16" barrel, so 12" loses you less than 200 FPS. For hunting, I think the 16" would be ideal.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Truthfully, the loss in velocity between 28" and 20" is closer to 10-15 FPS than 35. Below 20 inches, it becomes closer to that 35, but I don't have anything to compare it with myself, since I have only 20 and 28 inch barrels.
            Using 123gr bullets at ~2500 fps, the difference between 20" and 18" barrels has been 15 to 20 fps per inch in my experience. This observation includes both comparing different barrels altogether, and also cutting a 20" down to 18".
            Drifter

Comment

There are more and more big name and up-and-coming manufacturers and distributors responding to Grendel demand. Nosler just announced at SHOT this year that they are adding Grendel brass to their line. Colt Competition introduced 6.5 Grendel rifles, Hornady made a Grendel-driven 123 SST factory load, and demand is steadily reaching a wave that will make it one of the most dominant hunting cartridges in the AR15, which I think it already has been for a while, since there aren't a whole ton of other options.

A guy on another forum sent a bunch of questions to Colt about their new calibers in the competition line.

As I was unable to reach Mike Guerra at the West Hartford, CT Corporate Office,by phone, this morning, I FAXed a letter to Mr. Guerra referring to my observatons on the Gun Talk video, posing the following questions:

1, Does the new .300 Whisper/.300 AAC Blackout and 6.5 Grendel-chambered rifle utilize Colt's new articulating link piston (ALP) operating system?
              2, What barrel length, rifling twist will be used with the 6.5 Grendel chambering?
              3, Was the 6.8mm Remington SPC cartridge considered?
              4, Will the rifle be built at Colt's Hartford/W. Hartfort, CT manufacturing plants?
              5, If not, will the rifle still carry Colt's Warranty?
              6, What is the expected shipping date of the new rifle?
              7, What is the expected Price Point of the new rifle?
              Here's an interesting response from Colt:
              "We are not using the piston design for the Blackout. This was an upper from CMMG that we were testing.

We are testing both 20" and 16" in the Grendel and are very pleased with the 16" performance.

Yes, the 6.8 was considered and works well. But we like the 6.5 a lot.

The gun will be produced in OR at our Colt Competition shop.

The CCR guns carry a one year warranty.

We should see guns shipping after the first of the year.

The MSRP will be around $1400."

Comment

• usmc1371
                Warrior
                • Aug 2011

I have several friends that have shot my grendel out too 750yds. They are now looking at the grendel round. Here in my area the horde is growing. I'm glad that the industry is growing. Sounds like the grendel is going to be around for awhile.

Comment

Thats great to hear! I'm really excited for the future of this round, the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 7mm SAUM. My next build will be an AR-10 platform in 7mm SAUM. Check that round out guys. It's awesome!

Comment

The Grendel is my go to gun for deer out to 300 Yds using a 120 Gr Nosler BT handload..
                    longest kill so far is 436 yds.. and probaby will stay that way.. conditions were just perfect on that shot (solid rest, range estimation, and just having shot 400 and 500 yrds the week before)
                    yes I see the grendel offering getting bigger and bigger .. just have to get thru this massive buyup and things to get MORE normal

smoke

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

I was at a Gun Shop down in Richmond Va yesterday and they had over 30 boxes of Hornady Grendel Ammo for $23 a box. It was the 123gr A-Max Match and I already have a few hundred rounds so didn't get any. Payday this week so I'll be heading back that way and gona grab 5 boxes. It is usually $30 a box around the house so $7 less on each box is $35. Add's up in savings but great to see it on the shelf. Also 556 was near the same price so I don't think they know what Grendel is. Good Thing...

Comment

Well, Like i said earlier it is growing, here is link to a Youtube video of my Grendel maker:

Enjoy!

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Yup, spoke to him many of times. He is a plether of knowledge and gave me some great tips when I was doing my build. Apparently that is his main baby he builds. Mine is finally done as of 10 minutes ago. Just got it all assembled and will be going out back tomorrow for the first shoots. I have a 100 yard setup outback and would be doing it right now but gota go to Tim McGraw Concert with the wife. Jiffy Lube Live in Gainesville VA.

Back with report on my group tomorrow.....

Comment

• Keep The Change
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

Hmmmmmm....ive seen a picture of that gun somewhere. Now where was that? Haha!

Good looking gun Sureshot. Now who is the builder?

Comment

The Builder was Quality Arms out of Rigby Idaho. Right up the highway from where I live. Jim, has been great and the gun is a lot of fun. Waiting to go to Wyoming for PD and when I do, ill post the pictures here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X