Finally done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally done!

Well, here she is! I Finally got out to the range last weekend. Gorgeous day to shoot despite the nasty wind gusts. After getting her dialed in @ 200 for zero, took 'er out to 600... Ringing 8" plates was no problem! I've got to say that I am thoroughly impressed with this cartridge. The recoil is next to none on this 12 pound tank, and I think with a little more trigger time, those groups will surely tighten up. (Lot of shooter error)
    For anyone that had any questions about the quality of PROOF barrels, I've got to say: They are top notch. Customer service was excellent. They did a phenomenal job of keeping me in the loop during the build process. Any questions I had were gladly received and promptly answered. Barrel quality is even better. Hell, it outshoots me! I ordered mine with black cerakote, and the thing is gorgeous.

Here's the Results from the range. (No vice or bags... Just bipod and monopod)

First 5 Shot Group

10 Rounds at 100 yards

First Groups at 200 yards. (The pic is turned 90degrees right for some reason... sorry, I don't know how to fix it)

Components:
    PROOF Research .264LBC 24" barrel. 1/8 twist .750 Contour
    VLTOR MUR-1 Upper Receiver
    BCM Mod4 Charging Handle
    Tactical Innovations T-15 Lower Receiver
    RRA 2 Stage trigger
    Magpul PRS Stock
    YHM Todd Jarret rifle-length forend (I need to upgrade to extended rifle and cover the gas block)
    Precision Armament M41 brake
    Syrac Ordinance Adjustable gas block
    and Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16 atop a RRA mount
    Utg Bipod
    Accu-Shot Monopod

Nice-looking fire stick. Is that carbon fiber wrapped even at the fore end of the barrel? How light is the overall system?

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

I'm jealous...mine is still in pieces in my closet and still need to get my optics. Looking at a Konus 6.5x25-44 for now because already over budget. Konus is suppose to be pretty good glass and will have to do me for now. Hope to be posting pic's soon like you got to today.

nice looking setup...

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Nice-looking fire stick. Is that carbon fiber wrapped even at the fore end of the barrel? How light is the overall system?
        Negative on the carbon wrapping. The barrel is actually Cerakoted black, except for
        the area at the gas block. The whole thing weighs about 12lbs.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Nice looking rifle. How does your precision armament brake work for you? What rifle range were you shooting at, it look's familiar?

Comment

The brake seems pretty effective, though I don't really have anything to compare it to. It's not as loud as I initially thought it would be. Looks pretty mean with all of those monster ports. It does, however blow dust/debris back into your face when shooting prone. I have an AAC Brakeout I want to put on for comparison. I'll get around to it eventually.

The range is the Deep Creek Shooting Range. Just outside of Missoula. Really a great range. Everything from pistol bays to 1000yd shoots.

Comment

• denimdeerslayer
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2013

Very nice!

Comment

• Keep The Change
                Warrior
                • Mar 2013

That is a good looking and good shooting piece.

Is there any concern with heat curing Cerakote on barrels. Is there a need to Cryo afterwards or is the cure temp not high enough to alter any cell structure in the barrel?
                Don't want to hi-jack the thread, it just crossed my mind.

Comment

I don't see any reason for concern there... the temps for cerakote curing aren't that high. 250-300F. I'm sure that your barrel is subjected to much worse when dumping a mag.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Keep The Change
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

Thanks Hobster.
                    I am using a Vltor upper as well for my Grendel build. I just had it cerakoted and am waiting on barrel now. I wanted to ask what kind of slop, if any, didn you have between the barrel extension and Upper. I guessing my will be fairly snug now with a coat of cerakote.

I'll probably end up cerakoting my barrel as well.

Comment

The fit between the barrel extension and receiver was VERY snug. Probably didn't require any bedding, but I did anyway. I personally didn't coat the barrel, I had PROOF do it for another $40 or $50 when they built the barrel.
                      Don't Cerakote the barrel extension. I'm not sure what barrel you've got coming but if it's anywhere near as tight as mine, you'll never get it in with cerakote on the extension. You'll also notice that they left the area for the gas block bare too. I'm not sure how much it would affect the way your block fits/seals. Most barrels are parkerized, and the blocks fit fine. That would probably be something to ask one of the more knowledgeable members of this forum about.

Comment

• Keep The Change
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2013

Thanks Hobster. I'm having Brux make the barrel for me, and I definitely wouldn't 'kote the barrel extension.
                        My Vltor upper does have 'kote inside the receiver so there will be some additional snugness when the extension goes in. I had an LMT barrel off another upper that I tried in the Vltor upper prior to 'koting and it wasn't all that snug. A good fit but it wasn't tight by any means. Before I but that barrel back on the upper it came off of, I'll stick in the Vltor upper to see how much tighter the cerakote made it.

Comment

Working...
                        X