• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Barrel Diameter at Gas Block Question

So I ordered a barrel last month and it is a 4 mth wait. I ordered a 0.875" diameter barrel and it will be fluted.

Now I'm finding (should've looked before ordering barrel) that I can't locate an adjustable gas block with detents for easy adjustments in 0.875" ID. I was looking at the Syrac and SLR types. But neither make them in 0.875".

Should I have them neck the gas block area down to 0.75"?
    I'm having them do a 5/8 x 24 threaded muzzle for compensator.

Or should I just leave it at 0.875" diameter at the gas block area and use a conventional type adj gas block?
    Thanks for the input.

im using a pri and havent had any trouble yet. it is the conventional style adjustment, with some type of thread treatment to keep from self adjusting. what diameter ahead of gas block are you looking at? One other thing to consider is whether you want clamp on or set screw type.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

If you have rifle-length gas, it's doubtful that you'll really need an adjustable gas block.

If you want one anyway, PRI offers a .875" version:

FWIW, I would recommend against changing the barrel diameter to accommodate a particular gas block.
      Drifter

Comment

I have RLGS and it won't operate with 108 scenar hanloads unless I open it up. That being said it may be because I turned the GB down to soften recoil on buffer, etc. with 123 grain loads.

Comment

• Keep The Change
          Warrior
          • Mar 2013

I will actually have an Extended RLGS on this barrel.
          Ricsmall, I'm assuming the same 0.875" diameter will be continued from the GB to the thread muzzle. I might need to confirm this because what is the diameter of typical muzzle brakes. Will there by an abrupt step from the OD of the muzzle brake to the 0.875 OD of barrel?

I haven't given much thought on the muzzle brake yet. Do you guys use a 7.62 brake or a 5.56 brake?

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post

I haven't given much thought on the muzzle brake yet. Do you guys use a 7.62 brake or a 5.56 brake?
            I suspect that most use muzzle devices designed for calibers larger than 556, and most Grendel barrels are threaded accordingly (larger than 1/2 x 28). The standard muzzle thread size for the Grendel is 9/16 x 24, but 5/8 x 24 threads will provide more options. (A 556 device would need to be opened up sufficiently to allow for the larger 6.5 bullet. The hole needs to be a few thousandths larger than bore size to be used safely.)

Since I hunt and some shots might be taken without hearing protection, I most often use an SEI Vortex flash hider. It isn't excessively loud, it goes on hand-tight, and it's easily removed for cleaning around the muzzle (and replaced with no change in POI). I like the 9/16 version since it's somewhat smaller than the 5/8 size.

Grendel recoil isn't significant, so a brake isn't a necessity. They tend to be loud, and usually b!tch-slap the shooter in the face on every shot. But this can be subjective, as a brake that one might not like, another might find reasonably tolerable.
            Last edited by Drifter; 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM.
            Drifter

Comment

• Keep The Change
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

Thanks Drifter for the info. I don't want to fool around with a 5.56 muzzle device. I figured it would need to be opened up. The SEI Vortex sounds like a good option. I haven't decided if a I want a brake. It will be a target gun, I was thinking about it for the purpose of wanting help see impact after shot. But I'm not a fan of throwing sound back at you and others at the range.

Comment

I took my brake off this past weekend to see if it improved groups any. Long story short, it appears that it did, though more shooting this coming weekend will help further prove or disprove that theory. Also, I didn't lose sight picture without it. Think I'm gonna make a thread protector and go without the brake. I thought the brake was pretty quiet, but it is very pleasant without it.

Comment

Working...
                X