Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XcountryRider

Seating Depth?

A guy posted over on AR-15 that the Grendel worries him becasue of seating depth. What does he mean and is it a real concern?

The Thread
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

His question is incomplete, or uninformed. It makes no sense.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Is he saying the bullet is seated to far into the shell and that somehow is an issue?

Comment

Oal

I don't think the guy knows anything about reloading, he just heard that statement
        and is repeating it.
        Because of the magazine your limited in cartridge OAL. So for a 123 Gr. Hornady bullet
        it is seated where the bullet is most likely deep into the area of the case that holds the powder, capacity area. Does this make a big difference, no not necessarily. I have a friend that has a Sabre Defence M4 , 16 in. barrel with a really short throat. He seats his 123 gr. Hornady bullets at about 2.225 - 2.230 OAL, and the thing will shoot 5/8 moa groups all day with 28.0 gr TAC powder. On the other hand one of mine has a throat that I can load out to 2.275 OAL, (pushing the OAL) it's still .030 off the lands and it shoots about the same as my friend. So go figure...pressure is not a problem in both rifles. Go on the reloading link for more info on this subject.

Comment

Working...
        X