• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Wray
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2011

Discounting the 24" barrel...

I hear quite often about the 24" barrel being discounted from "field" use and gearing itself more towards target shooting. Consider this... The Marine Corps have been using the M40 sniper rifle since the 1960's. Currently, with a 24" barrel and an overall length of about 44", it's proven itself admirably. Granted, if you can get the same performance out of a "smaller" package, more power to you. But, I'm not going to count out the AR15 platform armed with a similar 24" barrel...
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein

www.el-wray.blogspot.com
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Heck, I don't even like 20" barrels in the field, or in and out of the truck.

But I do like rifle-length gas on an 18" barrel. Since they aren't so common, I've been known to buy a 20" or 24" barrel, then have it cut.

That being said, I respect anyone's decision to use what appeals to them.
    Drifter

Comment

I've used 24, 26, and 28" barreled rigs in the field. They have their place under special applications where portability and maneuverability are not critical factors and velocity along with the additional down range energy and additional weight are desired. But it really messes up the inherent ergonomics that make the AR platform so desirable.

Some applications where I would want a 24" or, an even longer rig would be prairie dog shoots, antelope from a blind, high stands overlooking senderos, bean fields, and similar.

Applications where I would not want a 24" and would opt for shorter, sometimes much shorter rigs, cover the vast majority of North American hunting situations. For woods hunting for whitetail, black bear, hogs, most mule deer hunts, elk, sheep, mountain lions, and so on the average shot distance is under 200 yards. And at those distances and conditions even my 14.5" is deadly efficient, I would not hesitate to use it out to 450 yards or more.

I think this is why you see a bias towards shorter barrels, along with the fear of Zombies

The reason the M24 uses a 24" barrel is because it is required to keep the bullet supersonic to 1,000 yards and accuracy is lost as it transitions to subsonic, many times the bullet even tumbles as it hits this transonic velocity.

Bob
      Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

The Marines rarely take M40's outside the wire anymore. When they had the Mk11 (SR25 7.62 semi-auto) added to the inventory in STA Platoons, Force, & MARSOC, shooters usually preferred that over the bolt guns because you can actually fight with it, and it only has a 20" barrel. The trend now is leaning towards retrofitting the SR25's with 16" uppers and telescoping stocks, since they have better bullets designed for long-range shooting (175gr SMK) versus the WWI-era 173gr bullet that was loaded in the M118 Special Ball ammo.

There have been some Grendel owners who had lightweight profile 24" barrels cut for them specifically for hunting, but a 14.5" is all you really need when you run the numbers, or look at the experience of those who have used them like Bob in the field on numerous medium game, to include tough-skinned hogs.

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

One thing I think a long barrel is nice for, which I haven't heard mention of, is mitigating the effects of muzzle blast on the shooter. If you are running suppressed muzzle blast would not be an issue. I don't have that option at this time so moving it farther away is my only recourse. I agree that a short barrel would work better for some situations but I am pretty sure I am not going to be finding myself kicking in doors or fighting in an enclosed space any time soon.

Comment

Working...
          X