Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65G_Sethum

Gas piston system?

I just started doing some research on them today so I don't have a ton of info on them. I thought if anybody could help me it would be you guys. Im starting a new build and was looking at gas blocks and stumbled onto a gas piston conversion kit by adams arms. I thought that it was pretty neat and started to do some research about it. I like the idea of them however I am not sure you can adjust the gas(this is where I need help) are there any that you can adjust? Also i am running a carbine length on a 16 inch barrel so I was wondering what some good hand guard options were? I thought about this one http://www.apexhandguard.com/store.p...=347061#images

A carbine-length gas on a 16" barrel? Is it on a 5.56 gun? That's the most common barrel length/gas system length for civilian AR15 carbines, and pretty hard on the operating parts. I personally like a DI gun built with quality parts and all the know-how as far as assembly procedures go.

I'm not all that excited about the op-rod kits for AR15's, although the Adams Arms version is a popular one. I've shot the HK416 with 10" and 16" barrels, as well as the HK417 with 20" barrel. I still prefer DI guns.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Its for a 300 blackout that I would like to run suppressed eventually. If DI is a more sound way to go can you suggest a good adjustable gas block. I was looking at a pri but I was told that the noveske switchblock is good to switch quickly however I believe its only built for 556.

Comment

.300 BLK has a totally different gas system signature. I don't have any experience dealing with it.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Well as long as the thread has been started, does anybody have any experience with running a mid length piston system on a 16" Grendel. I've been debating on doing this myself. I've found adam arms and ospreys systems that midway carries when you can catch them in stock.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I have made a lot of rifles with Adam Arms Gas pistons. I will sum them up best with my experience. If you want a AR platform that doesn't need as much oiling and less maintenance between shooting, I like the gas piston. They work perfect with suppressors. The carbine length Adam Arm gas piston seemed to have less recoil than the mid length to me. I love the gas piston self regulating gas function. With that said I use the DI system in most of my rifles since I discovered reliable adjustable gas blocks. DI gas systems have less weight, better accuracy and softer recoil. I have used the Adam Arms gas piston on 6.5 Grendel and 5.56 caliber rifles. If accuracy, less weight, and a little less recoil is your objective go with the DI gas system. If going into the wilderness with out any maintenance occurring (a good source of slip 2000 EWL or frog lube) , or you are using a suppressor go with the Adam Arms Gas system. I wouldn't be afraid to carry either system.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Hmm, I kind of want to try the gas piston but then again I also would like a lighter gun. I guess I will have to think about this a bit more.

Comment

Especially with the Grendel, here's my advice:

Take the money you would have spent on the op-rod kit ($386), and spend it on ammo, a quality optic mount, a new lower for your next build, maybe a quality US-Made Rifle case, a 2-point quick-adjust sling with QD swivels and mounting hardware, reloading dies, brass, primers, powder...you get the idea.

Comment

• Whiteghost2.5
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2012

I'm going this route. It will be in my long range 24" precision rig. Not worried about weight on this one.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteghost2.5 View Post
                    I'm going this route. It will be in my long range 24" precision rig. Not worried about weight on this one.

Josh
                    Then why add moving parts that hurt accuracy? DI guns are more inherently accurate than Piston Guns.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

If it is for precision, go with a DI"gas tube".

Comment

• Whiteghost2.5
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2012

You guys are right.
                        Ill put the piston system on the suppressed shorty then.

Comment

It's probably alright for suppressed, but generally, I consider the piston kits as a shoehorn. Of course that is no reason not to have one. If it was me though, I would favor a long stroke system.

Having said that, I see little problem with DI.

Comment

Working...
                          X