Which Recoil Buffer and Spring for 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Recoil Buffer and Spring for 6.5 Grendel?

I was just notified that the AA 24" Grendel AWS Upper Receiver with Shilen Barrel I ordered is being shipped on Monday. I was planning to use an LMT lower with a SOPMOD collapsible stock that I use with a Larue 18" Stealth upper. However, it has a much smaller/lighter recoil spring and buffer than the Colt 20" A2 HBAR AR I have. I was wondering whether the LMT lower with the small spring and buffer would work ok with the 24" Grendel or should I maybe use the Colt lower. Or should I buy a heavier buffer and spring for the LMT lower (and would it still work ok with the Larue Stealth)?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

No kidding I was literally planning to do the same thread this afternoon. True story. : popcorn :

Additional relevant question if i may...does it matter if you are using the CTR, UBR, or PRS stock? Plus where do you get the super heavy duty buffer/ springs...and what brand are the favorites from the cool kids.

Comment

• Hank Rearden
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

I'd like to get in on this one as well.

18" barrel with a magpul UBR. Will be installing an adjustable Gas block.

Very curious, this is the last decision/purchase to make before I start the build. My parts are out getting Cerakoted this week.
      Last edited by Hank Rearden; 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth, my 24" Grendel upper functions fine with the stock buffer and spring in my Remington R15. I assume they're milspec.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

When you say "stock and milspec" do you mean standard A2 or carbine?

Comment

• Errorhead
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2012

When did you order your upper? I got a 20" on order and I'm just trying to get a timeline. Thanks

Comment

it was ordered on July 3rd 2012.

Comment

I ordered my 24" lite barrel the SAME DAY!!!!

Comment

• skyfish
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

I have a 18" barrel, mid length gas system and Magpul UBR stock. I use the M-16 bolt carrier, heavier. (Any AR should have one IMO), I had a H buffer and went to a H2 buffer. Noticable difference. May try a H3 buffer if I find one.

I notice less banging in stock and brass was in better shape, I think it needed just a bit more "dwell" time.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Stock spring, & an H2 buffer have worked well here. I don't look for trouble-once I found this setup, I left it alone.= Really smoothed the cycling out from the stock buffer.
                    My AA Entry upper came w/ the m-16 carrier inside it= good and heavy. I did try the Endine thingy- w/ Blade this fall= Results were mixed ?
                    Once Blade has a free moment-from- checking-the loaded ammo 24/7=---====he will chime in more. The data he has is awesome .. Crazy busy here in MN., for both of us!

I think Rasp65 really likes the H3 buffer..---- He's a moose shooter.

I have a stiffer Wolf spring, yet to try it. Many talk of trimming them for oal.=? My, MN. Goals are carved into stone here. Keep it simple, safe, functional.... that way in a crisis-all stock springs will function=-get it?
                    Try-buy-borrow a few diff. buffers=check it-report back what data you then collect.----- Hop in -we all love data.. Team effort till the end gang!!
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 03-03-2013, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• LongRanger

I was having some bent brass using the stock A2 buffer and spring with my 24" Grendel SAOD upper. I ordered JP Enterprises silent captured spring, installed it and have had no bent brass since then. Also seems to have a bit less recoil. It was a tad expensive but seems to have been money well spent.

Comment

The JP Silent Captured Spring would be a top-choice for me for a 24" RLGS gun with a carbine stock. You're going to need all the weight you can get to fight the dwell time of the 24" RLGS.

Another option is Heavy Buffers 8.5oz Tungsten inner weight, stainless body buffer.

For a 16" MLGS or 20" RLGS set-up, the standard AR15 5.2oz rifle works great with a rifle-length extension tube (buffer tube). With those barrel lengths and a carbine stock, you will want no less than an H2 buffer, or ST-T2 from Spike's. For the 18" MLGS and 24" RLGS, I would want the JP SCS or Slash's 8.5oz.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2013, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I'm running a 24" stick with adjustable gas block, h2 buffer, m16 type carrier, with a standard carbine buffer spring and buffer tube. I dialed the gas block down to less than a half turn open from full closed. The brass ejects smoothly and is thrown about 4 ft at 3:00.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

dsgarms had springs and buffers in stock the other day.
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                              When you say "stock and milspec" do you mean standard A2 or carbine?
                              Sorry. A2. Mine's a 24" barrel, rifle length gas system.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X