Warrior
    • Oct 2011

Midway has stripped uppers in stock

probably not for long but at the time I posted this they are in stock
    Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
    www.rockhollowtactical.com

got one, thanks

Comment

I'm curious about the difference in material DPMS uses, 7029 T6 extrusion vs a normal 7075 forging. Anyone know?

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

Thanks for the heads up.
        sigpic

Comment

I think these are pretty nice uppers for the money. If you're looking for more of an accuracy build vs. a lightweight run n' gun rifle and don't want to spend a lot, they're a nice choice. The the stiffness added by the thick walls helps. I recently used one on the .204 Ruger upper I put together:

7029 is pretty strong stuff and shouldn't be an issue--especially on such a beefy design. The possible downside of an extruded part is that raw extrusions aren't held to as tight tolerances as a machined part can be. Of course much of them is finish machined obviously so they can hold tolerances to whatever they want on those surfaces. But they aren't machined from a block 100% so they're much cheaper to make and you can't rely on all the dimensions being as perfect as a well machined billet upper.

If putting together a high $ no-expenses spared rifle, by all means, I'd lean toward a billet upper. But with things being so hard to get these days I'd snap up a couple of these just because you can and they are a pretty good value if you ever need an upper for a build.

Comment

• daprincipal

Got one! Thanks, I can now complete my 223 build.

Comment

Nice looking rifle, who made the free float tube?

Originally posted by Jon A View Post
              I think these are pretty nice uppers for the money. If you're looking for more of an accuracy build vs. a lightweight run n' gun rifle and don't want to spend a lot, they're a nice choice. The the stiffness added by the thick walls helps. I recently used one on the .204 Ruger upper I put together:

7029 is pretty strong stuff and shouldn't be an issue--especially on such a beefy design. The possible downside of an extruded part is that raw extrusions aren't held to as tight tolerances as a machined part can be. Of course much of them is finish machined obviously so they can hold tolerances to whatever they want on those surfaces. But they aren't machined from a block 100% so they're much cheaper to make and you can't rely on all the dimensions being as perfect as a well machined billet upper.

If putting together a high $ no-expenses spared rifle, by all means, I'd lean toward a billet upper. But with things being so hard to get these days I'd snap up a couple of these just because you can and they are a pretty good value if you ever need an upper for a build.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                Appears to be a JP:

Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                  Yes, as Drifter noted it is the JP Rapid Configuration. I really like it--after using it the first time I promptly ordered another for my 6mm. That took forever to show up unfortunately but it's finally here!

Too me it's "just right"--not too large diameter, not too small; not too rough on the hands, not too slick, etc. I had to put "grip tape" on the tube that came with the 6mm to feel more secure when running around with it.

I also like the method of attachment better than the standard JP tubes--not so much reliance on locktite. And adding pic rail chunks is much nicer with the threaded holes vs. slots that require a backing plate.

Comment

Working...
                  X