midway has 6.5 Stoner barrels in I just bought a spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S1

He could get a throating reamer to lengthen the throat. I think it's called a uni throater. Check reamerrentals.com, IIRC, they have Grendel reamers. They are also reasonable to rent, guaranteed to be sharp, and they are PTG tools.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Nice find ric., thanks, There is hope after all, for a few that need it.

Guys, gal's-do your best to buy Sammi spec. Grendel bbls. We all talk of spec's. , powder charges, etc. We all need a safe start point= if we all have the same chamber(-very close-)to start with it makes this so much easier to explain, share data , based on ogive contact lengths., per specific bullet.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• the_drexelian

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
        Nice find ric., thanks, There is hope after all, for a few that need it.

Guys, gal's-do your best to buy Sammi spec. Grendel bbls. We all talk of spec's. , powder charges, etc. We all need a safe start point= if we all have the same chamber(-very close-)to start with it makes this so much easier to explain, share data , based on ogive contact lengths., per specific bullet.
        I'm one of the unlucky ones that got an ARS barrel from Midway with a short chamber and YES it is marked 6.5 Grendel on the barrel. Other than testing it out before buying (not possible at any store I know of) we as consumers rely on the honesty of the manufacturers. Unfortunately this didn't pan out in my case. My suspicion is that since I got it right after the rights were released from AA, that whomever made it was still using the old non SAAMI chamber specs but stamped it Grendel anyway.

So, the solution? I have a rental PTG uni-throater reamer on order that should be here sometime next week. I plan to move the throat forward about 0.050" so that i can load the Nosler BT's out to mag length and be 0.005" - 0.010" off the lands. That should also put me at 0.015" off the lands for the 123gr amax/sst, which is where I see many of the properly reamed AA chambers are at.

The big advantage of this PTG reamer is that you can use it while the barrel is still installed on the upper! No need to disassemble the entire rifle.

I will post results once I finish.

Comment

Working...
        X