• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

Grendel specific??

Hi,

I am hoping someone here will tell me exactly just what is Grendel specific in the AR world. I am totally ignorant on this platform and have alot to learn.

Thanks for any help

Redraider
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

There are only a few components that are Grendel specific those being the barrel and bolt which should be matched to prevent headspace issues and the magazines are Grendel specific for hitch capacity applications most mags will feed the rounds and long as only a few rounds are loads if you go over 5 rounds in a non Grendel mag it will often bind and jam up other than the barrel bolt and magazine everything else is standard ar 15 components
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• michaelmew

Not quite what you asked, but I can tell you some of what ISN'T Grendel specific.

Everything on the lower can be standard. The only caveat may be the buffer and spring. Some rifles have gas issues and may need heavier, but that is still a standard part. Nothing special about an H2 or H3.

I think the unique parts are going to be the actual barrel and bolt. Even then, a 7.62x39 bolt works with some configurations. Just about everything else is standard AR parts. I'm sure someone much more knowledgable than I will chime in and clarify.

-mm

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
        There are only a few components that are Grendel specific those being the barrel and bolt which should be matched to prevent headspace issues and the magazines are Grendel specific for hitch capacity applications most mags will feed the rounds and long as only a few rounds are loads if you go over 5 rounds in a non Grendel mag it will often bind and jam up other than the barrel bolt and magazine everything else is standard ar 15 components
        Thanks mongoosesnipe. I took too long to type my response. And, I forgot to mention the magazines. It's probably obvious but the muzzle break needs to be .264.

-mm

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Micheal, do you reckon a 6.5 upper slapped on a carbine lower will be a problem? You said "may", but is a heavy spring and buffer really required?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

There is a Grendel specific bolt which Alexander arms uses and some others use a 7.62 bolt both of which work but the headspacing is different for each bolt which is why I recommend that the bolt and barrel be purchased together and matched from the barrel maker there are very few Grendel specific muzzle breaks there are a few for 6.8 which can be used but most just use 30 cal muzzle breaks but anything 6.5 or larger will work so it's not necessarily a Grendel specific component

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
              Micheal, do you reckon a 6.5 upper slapped on a carbine lower will be a problem? You said "may", but is a heavy spring and buffer really required?
              There shouldn't inherently be an issue but you may need to tune the buffer and spring a little or use an adjustable gas block to tune the action a little maybe

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

There shouldn't inherently be an issue but you may need to tune the buffer and spring a little or use an adjustable gas block to tune the action a little maybe
                Wow, I didn't know I didn't know that. I will definitely have to look into how to do. : ) Thanks very much indeed.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

I like the adjustable gas block myself there are locking versions which cant come out of spec and you set them up by opening the gas port untill the bolt will lock back then give it a touch more gas just to be safe

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

I thought to get low-profile gas blocks on mine, so I could get a free-float handguards...but it never dawned on me to get an adjustable one. I wish I had been so wise as the OP to get smart before buying. LOL

Comment

• michaelmew

mongoosesnipe said it perfectly. Good advice. Have you considered switching your low pro gb for an adjustable gb. The process is pretty simple but varies depending on style.

-mm

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                        I built a lower specific for my Grendel with the H2 buffer and standard carbine spring. Since then built a 5.56 carbine upper and it works with no problem with my lower.

Comment

Working...
                        X