Break in procedures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in procedures?

What are some good break in procedures for 24" Sabre barrel?
  • CoolBarrelBill

I have a 18" Sabre barrel I just cleaned when I first got and clean it after each time I shoot it.

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

My conclusion: Shoot it.

then shoot it again. And again!

Otherwise, Clean it periodically, and protect the crown.

I don't have it handy, but there are some pretty good insights on the web from one of the top mfg's on why breakin is a much overdone subject. :-)

I'll extend a standing offer to buy any Sabre grendel barrel/upper which did not have proper break-in procedure. (At suitable discount, of course)

Comment

From what I've read the break in procedure was made up by bbl manufactures and it does not serve a really benefit in helping the bbl.

Comment

Clean it, then shoot it. Then shoot it some more. Clean it when the action gets dirty, or when reliability, or accuracy goes downhill. After I got out of the service I cleaned every firearm after every time they were shot. Then I realized that many firearms took up to 20 rounds to settle down to accurate shooting after being cleaned. Now I don't clean nearly as much.

There is an ongoing debate whether a "break in" period is really necessary or not. Some manufacturers want you to break them in, others say that break in just wastes barrel life. I would suggest reading both sides of the debate and making up your own mind.

Personally, I don't believe break in helps the barrel shoot better, or last longer. But if a barrel maker insists, I will follow their instructions rather than negate the warranty.

Just shoot it!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I cleaned mine according to AA's break in procedure. What a pain. I now own the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, bar none. Try it. Won't hurt the bbl., thats for sure.

Comment

• longdayjake

All that a break in does is speed up the normal wear process from shooting. You will get your best groups sooner by breaking in but eventually your rifle will shoot just fine on its own after just firing it a bunch. With Grendel ammo being so expensive, the break in process is kind of a good idea.

Comment

I always went with the idea the the first shot from a bbl is the best and it all down hill from there. Might not be any truth to that but I have not seen anyone shoot better or worse because of break in or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                    I cleaned mine according to AA's break in procedure. What a pain. I now own the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, bar none. Try it. Won't hurt the bbl., thats for sure.
                    Dittos on that!
                    Steel89

Comment

Just what is AA's break-in proceedure?

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Dave J. Well, I read it off of the ( old AA website, from about 3 yrs. ago when I got my upper from them .) It stated ,, shoot 1 then clean,, per each for the first 10 - or so,, then clean every 5 shots , then 10 ,,,,out to 50 -- 100 shots. I can't remember every word... call AA , ask Bill A. It made me happy with the accuracy I'm getting, from my gun. Reality, or lucky, or , Hmmmmmmm ,,, maybe they put a better bbl. on my Entry by mistake,, Who knows. My bbl. was listed as a 1-8 twist. Now the entry's are listed as 1-9. My bbl. is better with lighter bullets. I'll keep mine forever.

Comment

Dave J. Well, I read it off of the ( old AA website, from about 3 yrs. ago when I got my upper from them .) It stated ,, shoot 1 then clean,, per each for the first 10 - or so,, then clean every 5 shots , then 10 ,,,,out to 50 -- 100 shots. I can't remember every word... call AA , ask Bill A. It made me happy with the accuracy I'm getting, from my gun. Reality, or lucky, or , Hmmmmmmm ,,, maybe they put a better bbl. on my Entry by mistake,, Who knows. My bbl. was listed as a 1-8 twist. Now the entry's are listed as 1-9. My bbl. is better with lighter bullets. I'll keep mine forever.
                          The reason I asked is because I just got my AA upper and the book that accompanied it makes no mention of barrel break in. The AA web site (in freq asked questions) says:
                          when the gun shoots with minimum fouling the best accuracy will be attained. However, it gives no hints on how to reach this point.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

An old timer told me, "shoot or clean, don't matter much which with an AR, you'll reach a point where it will shoot as well as it can either way, whether you provide the elbow grease or the bullets do. Me, I like shooting!" I clean when accuracy starts to drop off, that's around 3-500 rounds in my Grendels, it seems, once I stop getting copper fouling.

Comment

Get out and shoot that sucker. That's it. If you look down the pipe some day and it looks like a garbage can, rod it. Then shoot it some more...

LRRPF52

Comment

Working...
                              X