Strange "ring" in barrel just forward of the chamber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange "ring" in barrel just forward of the chamber?

Hey guys...

Figured I'd do my older son a fave and clean his Grendel before he comes home this weekend for our monthly jaunt for long-range...

Opened up the receiver and did a casual peek down the bore (as I always do on my own rifles) and had a mini freak-out. There was a very dark, well-defined ring around the inside of the barrel, just forward of the chamber. With the muzzle in front of a bright light, at first it looked like the inside of the barrel had been gouged in a dark circle, a few millimeters wide, completely around the diameter of the barrel- so dark I couldn't make out the lands at all.

I loaded the barrel with Wipe-Out, let it soak a few hours, did it again and let sit overnight. Patched it out, then ran some M-Pro patches as well.

Now, I'm not sure what's going on. The ring lightened up, to the point where I can make out the lands/grooves- so my worst fears that somehow the barrel got gouged are alleviated. I've put in some more Wipe-Out to see if it's still stubborn fouling- or if the metal has become discolored somehow...

I've never seen anything like this before....strange, I know...but it looks like the stainless steel has become darkened/discolored in a small ring that looks to be about an inch or so into the lands. He shoots 123 Amax's, so my guess is this right about or just ahead of the point where the ogive would engage the rifling.

Perhaps it's stubborn fouling I don't have a bore brush in 6.5 (don't like to use them) but maybe I should get one and do some more "aggressive" cleaning?

Is there any way the stainless would become dark/discolored in a ring like this inside the barrel? Loads are a tad on the hotter side, but not bad... 27.5 grains of 8208. No brass or ejection issues.

Any ideas?

Check this link:

I just finished some Hornady factory 123 amax's with the following chrono readings: 2514,2507,2516,2512,2527,2516,2515.These were from a box I bought last year. I then shot some of same except that I bought them 3 weeks ago and they have a different lot number. The results: 2536,2561,2557,2555,2522,2545,2577. Is it

Look for dreaded carbon ring.

Comment

Dayum... thanks, that's it...

At least there's a cure...

Never heard of this before, and have never seen it with any of our bolt guns....

Edit #2...
      JB Bore Paste ordered...
      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X