• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CCinClovis
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2011

Brake vs. Hydraulic Buffer

Just a quick and specific question.

I've got a 16" Grendel w/ a WCI brake. The brake does exactly what I wanted it to do, which is tame recoil for a faster follow-up. The noise is the down side. It is no longer worth the benefit to me.

My question is this:
    If I were to take the WCI off, put the Vortex back on and add a Hydraulic buffer, will I have a similar result as with the brake?

Thanks for the feedback.

Some brakes purport to mitigate muzzle lift in addition to moderating recoil from vent placement. IDK if your brake did so, but I suspect the Enidine buffer isn't going to help in that respect.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

If you want less recoil with out an increase in noise I would suggest a supressors while it's certainly more expensive than a muzzle break it will certainly do a good job of reducing recoil and noise...
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

There were several lengthy discussions about hydraulic buffers and the Grendel on the old forum, basically concluding that you need a purpose-designed hydraulic buffer for the Grendel, since an AR15 one could create a recoil system that allows unlocking too early. The forward plunger assembly of the hydraulic buffer doesn't provide the necessary resistance and mass to slow the rearward movement of the bolt carrier in the initial action of the gas on the system.

Taming the gas system with an adjustable block can provide much smoother operation of the action, reducing the secondary felt recoil of the operating parts impacting the extension tube.

Comment

• CCinClovis
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2011

Thank you for the feedback.

LRRPF52 - Do you know if such a purpose designed buffer exists for the Grendel?

Thanks again.

Comment

• MrDraco
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

AA sales one. http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Low...ne_Buffer.html

I bought this when I bought my AA upper and I've yet to have any issues.

Comment

• CCinClovis
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2011

Perfect. Thank you. I didn't even think to look there.

Comment

I have been shooting the grendel with just a target crown and its really not bad. I can still spot my shots even with my scope turned up. Try it without a brake and just a flash hider.

Comment

Working...
                X