Comments on the AR15performance 18" barrels/bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on the AR15performance 18" barrels/bolts?

Found an upper built around one, and it is the closest to what I want. I could buy a lot of ammo and mags for the difference between it and a 20" AA in my area. It will be used for tree/deer stands, and for long range steel shooting.

If you have one, how do you like it, what (factory) ammo does it like, and how does it group?

I've got one and it certainly is a shooter! On its maiden voyage, I got it on paper with 120gr Wolf MPT and then broke out some better ammo. Here are the first five rounds of Hornady 123gr A-MAX that I ever ran through it...

Comment

I'm running the big bolt with the stainless barrel, Factory 123 Amax hovers the 1 inch mark with 10 shot groups, and is going just under 2500fps at 5000 ft elevation, I did chrony in 95 deg heat, and broke the 2500 mark with some primer flattening.

The Amax ammo is a bargain, but it's only downfall is your not collecting Lapua Brass.

I've been handloading 130 Scirocco's with CFE, with twice fired Lapua Brass and a tight headspace I can rock 2500fps, and the 130 Norma's shoot GREAT, but I'm still working up a good load for it. The Scirocco's do copper foul, but I can get 20 good shots now before accuracy drops off. It's going to be a good deer load, and maybe an Elk on a combined hunt.

If H sells a 20-21 inch tube with the super bolt, I'd buy it in a heart beat, but Melonite vs the SS. With LWRC making a longer OAL lower and Mag for the 6.8(maybe someone will make a G Mag for it), who knows what a properly throated 6.5G barrel and the 130s can be worked up to(2.32 OAL).

I'm a big 6.8 user, but this 264 ARP also rocks with 108 Scenar's handloaded, and is serious fun shooting rocks at long range, and my 130 Scirocco load is stronger than any of my 6.8 loads(unbelievable BC to Boot).

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I shoot a 18" satern barrel and love it! I havent shot much factory ammo in mine, I reload everything. I like 18" because it's short enuff for hunting and long enuff for long range shots as well. Good luck

Comment

He's a really good guy to deal with and very well respected on the 6.8 spc forum, Im not suprised his barrel shoots.

Comment

I noticed, I think, that the ARP bolt would also work with the 7.62x39, so that was something else I was looking at. Sota Arms has a pretty good rep with the 300WTF crowd, but I have heard that the 7.62x39 bolt they have is a little weak, so I was considering double duty if possible.

Comment

Working...
            X