Need a good book on slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good book on slings

20 years ago there were only a couple of basic rifle slings.. These days there are slings of all kinds, and I would like to find a good book which covers the types of slings available these days; the advantages of over over another, and the proper way to use them..

Anyone know of book which covers slings?? Yes there are a couple written by Glen Zediker, but he mainly covers "service rifle" slings..

Thanks guys..

12 weeks and still waiting.. flk k

Ok...here's my take on slings.

Traditional military slings that mount on the bottom of the rifle with dangling sling swivels...worthless, unless drill & ceremony are your intent.

Service Rifle slings: Adapted around the constraints of the traditional military rifle sling mounts, but with tuned slings for solid sling welds for shooting from certain positions, mainly prone & seated.

"Jungle" or Patrol slings: With the US, Israelis, and a lot of Central & South American armies, the 2-point patrol sling was/is very popular. In the US, there is/was even a NSN kit that attached to the M16 buttstock and Front Sight Base (FSB), allowing the more practical carry of your rifle in field conditions. This set-up led guys in certain units to experiment with it, leading into the quick-adjust 2-point sling.

Harness sling system, like the Dieter CQB sling. This was rare, and advertised in the early 90's. Never seen them used by anyone.

"Tactical Slings": Started with 3-point sling designs derived from the HK MP5 sling...so cool, yet so non-functional. 2-point quick-adjust slings have displaced 3-point slings in Tier 1 circles, and single-point slings have become ideal for in-vehicle work with SBR carbines. This has led some companies to make multi-purpose slings that transform from a single-point to a 2-point quick-adjust, like the Magpul system.

VTAC Padded Pictured Below

"Tactical" Cuff slings/sharpshooter slings: Webbing that wraps around your support arm, with usually 1 point of attachment to the rifle in the front on the handguard, like a service rifle sling, only made from "tactical nylon", fastex buckles, and other modern materials and components.

I prefer the 2-point, quick-adjust slings for practical rifle, and precision rifle as well, since I can crank down on the running end of the sling and get it to tighten to my particular position, with whatever seasonal clothing and field kit that I'm wearing. I can also get out of it quickly in scenarios where I have to move from position to position quickly, and I can tighten the sling against me when I throw the rifle on my back to perform other tasks.

I use both the VTAC Sling, and Vickers Sling. I like the Vickers sling for my home defense carbines, and the VTAC for 3-gun, precision rifle, and carbines meant for field use. They are both 2-point, quick adjust designs that work best when attached to a side sling swivel on the forearm of the rifle or carbine. On standard AR15 FSB's, I remove the rivet and traditional military sling swivel, as it is worthless to me.

I personally have found that the quick-adjust 2-point sling designs cover many bases for me, as Home Defense carbine retention tools, marksmanship aids in competition, and even carrying/shooting aids for hiking/hunting.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      I use both the VTAC Sling, and Vickers Sling. I like the Vickers sling for my home defense carbines, and the VTAC for 3-gun, precision rifle, and carbines meant for field use. They are both 2-point, quick adjust designs that work best when attached to a side sling swivel on the forearm of the rifle or carbine. On standard AR15 FSB's, I remove the rivet and traditional military sling swivel, as it is worthless to me.

I personally have found that the quick-adjust 2-point sling designs cover many bases for me, as Home Defense carbine retention tools, marksmanship aids in competition, and even carrying/shooting aids for hiking/hunting.
      +1 on Viking Tactics and Vickers. I use them both as well however, I use a Viking Tactics on my rifle at work and I use the Vickers on my Grendel and 870. My reasoning is that the Vicking Tactics sling let's me cinch the weapon tight to my body when I am hiking or need my hands free to operate equipment such as an ATV. The Vickers does much the same but, it will not allow you to futher cinch the sling as a V-Tac will. Both are excellent slings. The Vickers are a bit pricy but they are made really well. "Buy cheap, buy twice." The V-Tac runs about $10 cheaper depending on model but, are equally just as good. Good luck with your hunt!

Comment

Thanks guys this does help get me going.. I never mind paying a good price, but sure hate to have to pay it twice.. flk k

Comment

Working...
        X