Would I like a 14/5" ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I like a 14/5" ??

I am looking at getting a shorter upper for my grendel. I want a lighter quicker upper.
    I was thinking 16"....
    I see AA offers a 14.5"....
    Is it accurate? And is velocity greatly affected with a 14.5"
    I would not shoot over 500 yards.
    Would it be simmilar to a 16"?
    Is it legal to hunt with 14.5"?
    Also, would a 16" carb hand guard work on a 14.5"?

The 14.5 is actually 16" including the permanently attached flash hider. As to whether you would like it or not, I can't say. But I like my 14.5" it is very accurate but it isn't the standard AA 14.5.

The 14.5 gives plenty of velocity for work at 500 and under. I have shot cleans on the MR target at 600 from a bipod with mine (200 out of 200 points) but it requires careful attention to wind doping.

The standard AA 14.5 has been very accurate for some folks but I had one that was really picky about loads and mostly produced 1.5-2 MOA groups. It was sub MOA with a few select groups. I don't think that had anything to do with the barrel length or profile, just the quality of that particular barrel. I don't any longer fool around with economy barrels, life is too short for that for what I like to do.

Here are a couple of links to some info about my 14.5. It has a Satern Barrel which is quite a bit more costly and takes a long time to get especially this time of year. Steve Satern will be shooting at the National Matches next week at Camp Perry Ohio along with me and around 2,000 other riflemen.

So i'm thinking about building a lightweight hunting upper. Here are my thoughts.... plain jane forged upper bcm carrier/grendel bolt from AA AA 18" barrel (maybe fluted) Apex Hanguard (12") lightest gas block i can find Larue spr scope mount Vortex 1-4x viper scope. Anyone have a similar build? Kinda

So i'm thinking about building a lightweight hunting upper. Here are my thoughts.... plain jane forged upper bcm carrier/grendel bolt from AA AA 18" barrel (maybe fluted) Apex Hanguard (12") lightest gas block i can find Larue spr scope mount Vortex 1-4x viper scope. Anyone have a similar build? Kinda

Notice the five shot group at 6:30 just off the X ring and keep in mind this is at 200 yards off the bipod.

Comment

Working...
    X