Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into shootin'...

Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

After a 13-year hiatus due to birth of 2 kids and all that I'm getting back into shooting and I'm kicking it off with a new grendel rifle. It's everything I wish the AR was back when I still active.

Both of my ARs were A2s. One 20" HBAR and the other 16". Almost everything from the factory was milspec back then. A3s and float tubes were pretty new when I fell off the face of the Earth.

Last thing I remember was that I was reloading .308 for my Savage 110 to shoot high power metallic silhouettes and I got to thinking that it would be great to shoot an AR on the high power course. But, alas, it was just a dream...5.56 won't cut it in high power. Now my prayers have been answered...

I'm pretty sure an AR does not qualify to be a silhouette rifle but the matches I used to shoot in were completely informal(Ojai Valley Gun Club). I'm just hoping it will have enough juice to knock down the rams at 500 meters. However, David Tubb used to use a .243 for high power so if I can shoot like he does, I think I'll be safe

My new rig is built on a LMT lower with a 2-stage trigger (LMT). All but the ultra-expensive 6.5 uppers are out of stock everywhere!! Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I will have won an auction for an AA 19.5" Hunter upper. Wish me luck!

Anyways, I've been lurking around the forums for some time and wanted to share my excitement...'cause the wife just don't understand...and also to thank everyone for all the great info you've taken the time to impart to others such as myself.

I will certainly wish you luck on the auction!!

And we already have something else in common.... Wives that just don't understand.

Comment

My wife built her own AR under my watchful eye...

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Sounds like an enviable situation...until she starts shootin' up all your ammo. "Hey Honey, would you mind reloading another 500 rounds for me? Just let me know when you're done. I'll be watching TV. Love ya!"

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Yep- that's a two edged sword... but a good one to have IMO. I can't think of a better person to have your back when the SHTF... well, maybe... that might depend on whether or not you remembered to lower the toilet seat the night before.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

at least your wife built her own mine just claimed one of my favorite ones but atleast she likes shooting

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

My wife just rolls her eyes about my stuff, then kicks my butt at the range shooting Steel Challenge!

Comment

• skyfish
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Good to have you back in the shooter ranks. I went through the same thing, got back into shooting and reloading about 8 years ago after a 10 year break. Still have the same single stage press my dad bought when I was about 10 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by skyfish View Post
                  Good to have you back in the shooter ranks. I went through the same thing, got back into shooting and reloading about 8 years ago after a 10 year break. Still have the same single stage press my dad bought when I was about 10 or so.
                  Yeah, I have a rock chucker that has a slight patina of rust but it still works. I lent it to my buddy and he was using it until he got a Hornady progressive...I'm so jealous. I'm in total sticker shock when I look at the price of components. When I was reloading .308, I had calculated the price of a round with 168SMKs was less than $.25. At least the ARs haven't gone up that much. Gotta love panic buying.

Comment

Okay, the auction is touch and go. Someone outbid me by $5 but I'm a gonna wait until a coupla minutes before it expires then I'm gonna swoop in.

I hope the other bidder is not a member of the horde, hehe.

Comment

So the fickle finger of fate was not with me today. Someone chose the "buy it now" option and got the upper for $625. I had bid $550 and thought I'd get a bargain. Crap, it would have been a bargain at $625. Oh well, that's what I get for being cheap.

Now I have to find a 18"-20" upper in stock somewhere. Can't find anything in stock for less than $900. I really like the Kies MK1 .264lbc upper but can not find one in stock anywhere.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

JD, that happens to me on Ebay ! $625 was a decent deal... Keep looking, something will show up. Welcome to the gang. Good luck !

Comment

All this waiting around to buy goodies is not the prescribed therapy for Black Rifle Disease!!!

Comment

You guys do know about bid snipers don't you?? I don't know about Gunbroker but for eBay this one works well https://www.ezsniper.com/

Comment

I'm fairly sure the seller "bought" it. The seller's handle and the buyers handle were the same unusual name only one had numbers after the name and the other didn't. I bet he was just baiting with a price of $550 and when he thought he might have to sell it at that price he snatched it up.

That's the story I'm sticking to to make myself feel better

Comment

Working...
                              X