• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

bore brush??

Hi,

New guy here, bear with me. What bore brushes sre you using to clean the 6.5 Grendel? Any other tricks I need to know about?

Thanks

Redraider
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

any bronze bore brush will due but depending on what solvent your using the bore brush wont last very long with agresive bore solvents in which case you will just need to use a mop and patches i just use patches and hoppes elite solvent
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
      Hi,

New guy here, bear with me. What bore brushes sre you using to clean the 6.5 Grendel? Any other tricks I need to know about?

Thanks

Redraider
      RR:

I don't think anyone makes a .264" bore brush so get a .270" brush. Bronze is always the way to go. Before buying, make sure the threads fit your cleaning rod.

I normally use a used .308 brush as mine are GI issue and the civilian bore brushes don't seem to last as long.

I will hose the bore brush out with carb cleaner after use. This way, your bore cleaner won't dissolve the brush and will clean it at the same time.

I also use a bore snake periodically when I don't have the time to pull out rods and brushes. I wouldn't recommend a bore snake all the time as it won't clean as well as the rod / wet patches / wet brush / wet patches / dry patches / carb cleaner routine.

LR1955

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

plenty of 6.5 bore brushes to be had http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&users...mensionid=4042

Comment

• Redraider
          Warrior
          • May 2012

See............already. In my mind I'm thinking chamber brush but my typing went to bore brush. Thanks for the responses, but can we start over?

Redraider

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I very rarely use a bore brush, but when I do, it's usually nylon. Some solvents will break down bronze brushes.
            Drifter

Comment

There are as many ways to clean an AR as their are AR experts, that means two for every serious shooter . Seriously, I've seen high masters use opposing methods to the same end result. I've also talked with some of the industry's most respected experts and have seen opposing views. My conclusions is that it isn't a critical component to barrel life or even optimal accuracy. I've now had the opportunity to watch multiple barrels over their useful life and am comfortable with the methods I use.
              I never put a brush down my bore, ever. I use patch out as a solvent, with patches only. And then I use JB to polish the throat gently every three to five hundred rounds. This has proven effective for me and given me great barrel life.
              My actual process is to use patch out accelerator the first patch with a tight fitting piercing jag. Then I wait about five minutes and follow that with patches soaked with patch out for four to eight patches until it comes out light gray. Then I switch to dry patches until they come out white or very slightly grey.
              Then I wait 20 minutes and go through with a wet patch again. If it shows blue I may pass several more wet patches until the blue goes away and then dry patches until they come out white.
              This has proven god enough for me to consistently place in the top ten percent in national level competitions.
              Bob

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                See............already. In my mind I'm thinking chamber brush but my typing went to bore brush. Thanks for the responses, but can we start over?

Redraider
                Sure:

Use a GI 5.56 chamber brush. That is what Alexander puts in with his rifles when shipped. Or, he used to.

No need to get real anal about the whole thing so don't sweat it.

LR1955

Comment

• Michael
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

Boresnake followed by a patch with a couple of drops of CLP for bore, then a dry patch. For chamber, use a large pistol patch with a couple of drops of CLP followed by a dry patch. I rarely used brushes anymore.
                  I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

for cleaning the chamber i would use a 45 cal pistol brush and then mop it out with a 45 cal mop

Comment

Working...
                    X