• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

First Time Build

I'm about to under go my first build. I know y'all get these post all the time but I do have more specific questions.

I have all but decided on going with the Precision Firearms Neptune III upper. Large part due to it's 1 in 8" twist and it's free float barrel. (Please correct me if any of my information is incorrect) I'm stuck between the 24" and the 20" barrel.
    I should add that I have future plans of building an interchangeable 6.5 grendel 16" upper, or purchasing the Barret Rec 7 16" 6.8 SPC.

Secondly a stripped lower. I plan to buy a spike tactical stripped lower. I want there billet lower, however, I hesitated to buy it sooner and it's now it has been removed from their site and their not sure when it'll be back in stock. Would it be worth the wait, is there a similar lower anyone would suggest, or should I just go with one of their forged lower.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this build, but I'm of the mind set if you're going to do it DO IT RIGHT. I plan to have this weapon for a long time to come, and I don't plan to baby it. that being said I'll pay more for a superior product.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Your intended use for the upper would be helpful. If its mostly range/target, and you plan on a 16" barrel later, then I would go 24". If you plan on mostly hunting, then I would limit my choice to a 20".

Most hunters seem to prefer the 16-18" barreled uppers, while most target guys like longer barrels to milk as much velocity as they can out of the Grendel.

Precision Firearms builds great stuff, by all accounts, and my interactions with them have been stellar.

Comment

Precision Firearms has a billet lower in which I would pick over the Spikes tactical. I've sold Spikes billets and like what I see with the Precision Firearms lowers.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I agree with Bill, and welcome aboard!
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome. Good luck with your build.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Like the others have previously stated for a range gun that your just going to set up on a bipod or a bag and shoot 24 inches. But if you plan to carry the gun definately opt for the 20 inch or less.

Comment

welcome, and good luck with your build.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

I do plan to do a little hunting with it, but more range/target.

I'll check out the precision lowers.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

So I didn't see any stripped lowers on precision firearm's site Grimmy. Any other suggestions for a good stripped lower?

Comment

• COTNTOP
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

I use LARUE lowers and love the fit and finish, they are always in stock.

Comment

If you want billet get a MEGA lower or ar15.com billet lower

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Sounds like a very nice build. Post pics when you get it together!
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                          X