Private ranges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
    20x scope should enable you to see hits at the specified yardages (< 150 yds) without ever breaking cheekweld on the stock. No spotting scope needed for such short distances.

Maybe I'm late to the party, but what's the perceived benefit of reviewing each shot later on video?
    Interesting you chose the word "perceived".. Very challenging.. Passive aggressive I think they label it..

I am quite sure you meant to ask "What benefit to you derive from reviewing each shot..."

The short answer is it helps in the data analysis later.. And It is a real benefit to me..

The longer answer.. Hello I am Frank, and I am an accurate-aholic - look at my sig.. Then add to it the fact I am also anal retentive, which means I collect all kinds of data and crunch it six ways to Sunday so to speak.. Finally given the fact I am a software engineer I have the opportunity to use enterprise level database tools.. I just don't go out and shoot; I go out and spend the day collecting load performance data <grin>..

With that said, I hate to admit it, but I am not perfect on my trigger pull.. And to make matters worse, because of a vision loss in my right eye, I am having to learn to shoot left handed..

It is like getting a new pair of shoes.. It doesn't fit, and no position is comfortable.. I took out 'painless' the other day.. Thus named such because every deer I have ever shot with it, has dropped dead in its tracks.. It is my Rem 700vs which is capable of shooting sub 1/4" groups, and I just couldn't get it to fit.. It really sucks..

So every once in a while, I will pull a shot.. I know it when I do.. It's usually not much, but if I am doing load development I want to be sure not to use the pulled shot when making a determination about the accuracy of the load.. It is nothing to add audio to the input to the DVR..

This way I would have a record of each shot, its velocity, and any comments I may want to make, all without having to take my focus away from the sights and target..

Best of all, I have most of the stuff on hand, gathering dust.. I originally bought it for use as security system..

Nice lookin' place to shoot. Don't blame you a bit for developing a private range.
    Thanks.. I have been quite pleased with the place.. I run it as a Texas Wildlife Management area for Texas native song birds for the ag' exemption, the benefit being all of the birds we have at the place.. Plus I put out corn and water for the deer.. Last year I had as many as 18 does and young feeding shortly after I would put it out - normally twice a day.. And I saw my first 2012 fawn Saturday morning.. They are so little..

Flk k

Comment

One of the great things about the the shooting sports is that there are so many ways to have fun. You can literally spend your whole life pursuing different aspects and discipline within the sport we call shooting. Having a private range to do as you please would be a great thing that most of us will never have the privilege of realizing.
      While a 150 yard range is certainly better than nothing, why are you settling for such a short distance? Does your property not lend itself to a full course range?
      I too am limited to short ranges near by, but I make several matches a month (3-5) where I can stretch my legs on a full course venue, (200, 300, and 600 yards) and find my learning of real marksmanship is greatly enhanced by doing so. Almost any rifle is a 100% deer killer at under 200 yards, from almost any position. So I don't understand why you are seeking ultra precision at 150 yards, that doesn't mean the rig is worth it's salt at mid range. I've seen many 1/4 MOA rifles that are 6 MOA rifles at 600 yards, I even own a couple of them.
      Regardless of your answers or motives,you are a fortunate man I hope you truly enjoy your pursuit of building a range the way you see fit, but remember you did ask for input. I only ask these questions to possibly help you expand your thinking of what a rifle is really for, and what it is really capable of.
      Bob

Comment

Depending upon how long you will be in your "shooting shed" insulation may or may not be your friend. Some in the ceiling will be a definite help, a very light colored shingle or metal over wood preferable to a bare metal over rafters will not radiate as much heat down. One of the thin reflective insulations will be an advantage, I have a 12x24 Gambrel roofed storage shed, fully insulated with "Reflectivix" a bubble wrap type product with a very shiney aluminum skin on both sides, plus full fiberglass in the sides. It has two turbine vents and two gable end vents and by cracking two lower windows, stays relatively cool even during the hottest weather.

A lot of plain fiberglass or cellulose insulation will retain a lot of heat and require cooling before the ac unit catches up and does not have to work so hard. A higher ceiling will help zone cooler air in lower areas. Vent it with ceiling level and lower level vents so you can open it up when not in use and keep it as cool as possible.

Comment

Thanks for the discussion.. When planning things out, it is possible to overlook things - especially new technology..

I know venting is very important for several reasons.. Since the Shooting shack will only be used a few times a month, the venting will also keep moisture from building up and leading to mold..

Since I am an early riser, I suspect I will open the shack in the early morning hours to begin the day's shooting activity vs. coming into it in the afternoon.. This should help in reducing the load on the A/C unit to bring the shack down to comfortable range..

For the really cold days, a simple space heater should be all I need.. Those who live here will attest, cold days for us are those days where it doesn't warm up to the low 40's.. The plumbers are kept very busy during those rare years where we have a week below freezing, from broken water lines..

My initial thought was to use some of the corrugated tin I have for the roof; one less thing to have to buy.. But since you mention it, white shingles would probably be better in the long run.. And since the shack is to be about 8x12, we are not talking about a lot of money since the roof is small..

I will also look into the bubble wrap insulation - is sounds very interesting.. In my buddies house, we used 4x8 foam sheet with a reflective film to the OSB of the roof.. The idea is to then put R30 insulation..

For the shack, I was going to do something similar, but put the R30 on the ceiling rather than to the rafters as we are doing in my buddies house to accommodate the vaulted ceiling..

The first step for now though is to get a floor in place.. It will make sliding the stool much easier..

As far as my shooting goes, I just need to practice shouldering a rifle.. I lost vision in my right eye a few years back and I am having to learn to shoot all over again.. A couple of weekends ago I was out with painless - my Rem 700 VS.. I shot one 5 round group and then had to put it away because I just couldn't get comfortable with the rifle on my left side.. I was just wasting ammo..

Flk k

Comment

Working...
          X