Muzzle Flip of 75gr 5.56 vs 130gr 6.5G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muzzle Flip of 75gr 5.56 vs 130gr 6.5G?

Hi,

How much more muzzle flip/rise is a 130gr 6.5G round going to have as opposed to a 75gr 5.56 round, both loaded to their safe limits? I know 6.5'll have more, but any idea as to just how much more muzzle flip it'll have? I'm building a "dream" general purpose/SHTF rifle and being able to rapid fire as quickly as possible without being hindered by muzzle flip would be very nice. I know the grainage is pretty heavy for any rapid fire application, but to be honest I just like the better BC of high grain projectiles, and don't plan on reconsidering this aspect.

I shoot High Power national match competitions using the 75 grain Hornady for my 200 and 300 yard rapid fire stages. I've also shot my Grendel with 123 A-max loads and have been able to clean both targets with high X counts, 100-6X+. So I can say that the additional muzzle flip of the 6.5 Grendel while noticeable isn't enough to take me out of the ten ring. I would estimate the recoil to be maybe 25% more.
    Bob

Comment

There's a noticeable difference to me between the two, especially when standing. Here are some videos I did, but the 5.56 is with 55gr, and the Grendel is with 100gr NBT's. Using a modern aggressive gunhandling technique, you'll be able to control muzzle climb well, but there's definitely an increased perception of recoil. A stout 130gr load in the Grendel will feel a lot more punchy than a 75gr 5.56.

Comment

To me, the 130gn projectiles give a little more push than flip. Are you shooting from a bipod?

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

My concern is shooting while standing. I'm not really interested in bipod shooting since I'm assuming that makes the differences much less pronounced?

So far it seems the consensus is that while felt recoil is going to be worse, the flip vs a 75gr isn't really all that much worse? I'd still appreciate more input of course, since I'm still trying to refine the picture in my head of this whole thing.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Might not be significant difference in muzzle rise, but the impulse will be different. Perhaps a quick jab versus a slower shove, with the shove requiring a little more recovery time.

For the 6.5, a 107gr SMK or 108gr Scenar with a faster burning powder (versus a 130gr with slower powder) would likely be closer to the impulse of the 77gr 223, while still having a higher BC than the 77gr 223.
            Drifter

Comment

Working...
            X