• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Hex Fluted Rifle Barrel

Here is an interesting new fluting design. It is supposed to help with barrel harmonics and increased surface helps with cooling. http://kitup.military.com/2012/03/he...rels-whys.html

That honeycomb lattice is an interesting approach to dealing with longitudinal shockwave force, as well as vibratory whip. It would be interesting to see a scientific analysis of several barrels with this type of surface geometry against standard barrels from the same barrel maker to see if there are any real benefits.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Those are made about an hour from me and one of their salesmen my neighbor. They are definitely nice rifles and super light. I got to shoot one a few weeks ago and it handled very well. I'm not entirely sold on the benefits of the profiling but it definitely looks cool.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Any ideas about them doing Grendel barrels?

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I hate to imagine what one of those costs! It must take a ton of machine time to mill those all out.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

It has to be CNC of course, but it's stil machine time, and CNC machine time is not cheap. It looks pretty sick, that's for sure. Just when you thought barrel surface profiling had been maxed out, someone does something like this...

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
              I hate to imagine what one of those costs! It must take a ton of machine time to mill those all out.
              $500:

Drifter

Comment

That's $300 less than I thought it would be. They need to make Grendels. They have monolithic uppers too.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I'll talk to my neighbor about a 6.5 the next time I see him. I'm supposed to help him with one of his rifle projects some time soon.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Any news? I signed up just to keep on top of this.

Comment

Those are some cool looking barrels but it's what's on the inside that counts. What is the rifling technology, cut, button, hammer forged? I would not trade the coolest looking barrel for the one that is most accurate over a long life for any amount of money.
                      Bob

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I have not talked to my neighbor yet. I'll try to catch up with him this weekend.

Comment

+1 on adding a grendel line!

Comment

• usmc1371
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2011

i wonder what barrel diameter they start with? i like that look. i might have too talk my vp of operation into giving me mill time.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I briefly spoke with my neighbor today. Its a long shot but he seemed interested. I'll keep pushing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X