Once more into the breach. Hand guard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once more into the breach. Hand guard.

So here is where I am. In order to build my Grendel on my Armalite, I need a barrel,bolt and mag. And I need to free float the barrel for accuracy so I also need a new gas block and a fore end to replace my current fore end and delta ring. And a wrench to do the job.
    So, as long as I'm doing all that stuff I could replace the gas tube if I wanted to and change things around a bit. It looks like a free floated 12" rifle length quad rail will be either hard to find, expensive, or both. I really am going to need rails to attach stuff to for coyote hunting.
    So, with all that stuff in mind, what are my options?

I'm looking at probably a 20" barrel if I can get it.

Do I buy the 20" barrel first, then buy a quad rail to fit it? The quad rail should go right up to the gas block, shouldn't it?

Or do I get a 20" barrel with the gas port in a different place? Is that even possible?

I'm getting more wrapped up in the details now, but that is because I am getting closer to actually start buying stuff.

Thanks.

You could just order a new upper and slap it on your lower. I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice the Armalite upper the way it is configured, so I could have a 5.56 gun on-hand as well.

You can also get a Troy TRX Extreme or Alpha Rail handguard, with individual rail sections that can be placed where you need them, without going with a full quad-rail handguard.

20" would be fine barrel length for having a solid-feeling gun, and getting 24" velocities with handloads that aren't really over-pressure. It doesn't matter what order you buy the parts in, because you will have to assemble them in a certain order anyway. Barrel inserts into upper, barrel nut over barrel, gas block affixed to barrel, gas tube installed, muzzle device if any, then handguard attached to barrel nut.

You will want a rifle-length gas port location with the Grendel, since we're pushing heavy, long projectiles that generate plenty of dwell time once they pass the port. Guns pushinh shorter pills really fast do better with a little more dwell time.

Just order your barrel to get in-line with everyone else, then worry about the small parts and handguard.

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I agree, I was going to post in the other thread too. It never makes sense to me to bust up an upper if you have to change almost everything. Doing so won't save you much money, and in your case it would also completely knock you out of the 5.56 category. For just a little more you'll be able to shoot both cartridges, and that'll definitely get you more for your bucks.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

I was just looking at J&T distributing you can get a assembled upper for $650 thats about $50-60 more than assembling it youself on you receiver, depending on tou barrel choice. There are better barrels out there but it would get you in the game, mine shoots sub moa with factory ammo.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CPT.CRAZY View Post
          I was just looking at J&T distributing you can get a assembled upper for $650 thats about $50-60 more than assembling it youself on you receiver, depending on tou barrel choice. There are better barrels out there but it would get you in the game, mine shoots sub moa with factory ammo.
          So,
          Grendel barrel and bolt. $282.00
          Loki handguard. $99.95
          rail $21.95
          Gas block $85.00
          wrench $21.99

So, $500.00 more or less, and a donor rifle I'm not using. Still, the money difference doesn't matter to me as much as "There are better barrels out there" ,that concerns me. I really do want a top notch barrel. If I start with an awesome barrel/bolt, I can always change my mind later and add a receiver, re-assemble the .223 upper.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

You may have a hard time finding one of those "awesome" barrels in the short term.

Alexander Arms is in the process of re-profiling their lineup, so I don't know if they have a high end barrel available right now. Most of the other Grendel barrel makers are similarly back ordered. You might be able to get great barrel from Templar Consulting, but I haven't heard how far behind they are.

Loki might have a cut rifled barrel, or maybe Precision Firearms, but more and more of the companies that used to sell barrels alone are holding on to them and building them into uppers, since their supplies are slower.

Comment

Crap. One step forward, two steps back.

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              You may have a hard time finding one of those "awesome" barrels in the short term.

Alexander Arms is in the process of re-profiling their lineup, so I don't know if they have a high end barrel available right now. Most of the other Grendel barrel makers are similarly back ordered. You might be able to get great barrel from Templar Consulting, but I haven't heard how far behind they are.

Loki might have a cut rifled barrel, or maybe Precision Firearms, but more and more of the companies that used to sell barrels alone are holding on to them and building them into uppers, since their supplies are slower.

Comment

templar is about 6 weeks out on a bartlein. I talked to bob friday and he has a rock creek he could start on pretty quick. things may have changed by now, but you should call him anyway.templarcustom.com

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

I saw this rail yesterday, and it will be my next rail, I think!

Go down to the bottom, and check out the SP 3 GN rail.

It was amazingly light, and felt incredibly good in the hand.

Comment

OK, lets try this different then. Since my price for a conversion has risen from about $250.00 to more than $500.00, I might as well just get a whole upper.

With accuracy being most important, and someplace to hang a light for coyotes, is Alexander Arms probably the place to go?

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by frank4570 View Post
                      OK, lets try this different then. Since my price for a conversion has risen from about $250.00 to more than $500.00, I might as well just get a whole upper.

With accuracy being most important, and someplace to hang a light for coyotes, is Alexander Arms probably the place to go?
                      Most definitely in my book.

I've had 3 or is it 4? LOL

Comment

What kind of accuracy do you get with match ammo? Lets assume the one I get will be no better than the worst one you've had.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

With factory Hornady, well under .5 MOA. BUT...I've only had GDMR and GSR barrels, so that is a factor to be considered.

With handloads I'm in the .25 range.

That's a .21 5 shot group with 107 SMK's and 28.5 grains of XBR 8208.

Comment

I think I will just think about this for a while and watch the classifieds here for a while. It looks to me like my < $400.00 barrel swap is a lot more likely to be a $1000.00+ upper. If I stumble across a top notch barrel I will buy it and slap it on my rifle as is and see what happens, not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Working...
                            X