Newb with newb questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CPT.CRAZY View Post
    I would switch out the d ring hand gaurd of a free float tube. This is an easy change when doing the barrel
    Oh and welcome these guys are a wealth of information.
    You just went over my head. Did you mis-type any of those words?

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by frank4570 View Post
      You just went over my head. Did you mis-type any of those words?
      No- the d-ring is part of a "mil-spec" barrel nut. It's the spring loaded part that holds the hand guards on. Most free float hand guards have their own barrel nut but some clamp onto a mil-spec barrel nut after the d-ring is removed.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The proper name for the D-ring, is "Delta" ring. It is held in place onto the barrel nut by a snap ring.

Comment

So, barrel and bolt. AND gas block, free float handguard, delta ring tool. Is that about it?
          I wonder how close I am to the price of a whole new upper?

Comment

Originally posted by frank4570 View Post
            Crap. I forgot this rifle has the old m16 style handguard which snaps onto the barrel at the gas block. That can't be good.
            Looks like I'll need a gas block, and a different hand guard.
            Can a new handguard be just snapped into the ring at the receiver or am I going to have to change that too?
            In my opinion: Yes, free-floating is much superior in terms of accuracy. However, some applications don't require THAT much accuracy and in those circumstances free-floating is an unnecessary expense. It sounds like your squirrel-hunting will require the floating, though. Based on advice from LRRPF52 I'm looking at these floated handguards: http://store.troyind.com/Troy_Battle...l1-11bt-01.htm
            Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
              Warrior
              • Feb 2012

Thanks for clarification on my post guys. With all the knowledge on this forum, I sometimes forget that there are guys on here that aren't as experienced.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X