satern grendel barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satern grendel barrels

received email from kim at satern and they are sept - oct on their grendel barrels. maybe even later depending on the tooling. I really want a satern, looks like a long wait..
    any suggestions?? Just thought I would post so if anyone is looking.

Templar. Start with a Bartlein blank.

Comment

thanks LR Ill look into it. sorry mods, didnt realize I started this thread here.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I'm surprised they got rid of their 6.5 Grendel reamers.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

They might be telling people that lead time in order to sell off the LBC stock if they have it, or they could have sold their reamers to someone else who had the business sense to invest in a Grendel reamer.

Comment

yea, i dont understand the retooling either but what can you do? I have a barrel backordered with midway but it is supposedly in 264 LBC. Some reveiws Ive read said the barrel they received was actually stamped 6.5 Grendel when advertised as 264, and vice versa. Would I be bludgeoned here if I just waited on the 264LBC from midway? Im still checking into Bartlein and Templar, have to call tomorrow during business hours. Looks like either way Ill have plenty of time to buy ammo,dies, powder,parts,and bullets. I already have lower with PRS stock G27 grip and a good trigger(another story). I may also check on broughton barrels, theyre supposed to be top of the line.

Comment

You can get a Bartlein blank in the low $300's from Grizzly.com:

We are pleased to offer top quality Bartlein match rifle barrels in the most popular sizes. Bartlein stainless steel barrels are the choice of champions worldwide and are used by numerous members of the US Team. Many national records have been set using these barrels. In fact, the President of Grizzly has set several national records in F-Class shooting. Bartlein's precise machining and 5R grooving process increases accuracy and reduces copper build-up. Their custom built CNC machines are the most modern in the industry and there is generally a long wait to get a barrel from them. We place huge orders many months ahead of time and stock these barrels so you can get working on your favorite project immediately. All barrels need a final polish and come with 1" extra overall length for cutting and crowning. Specifications: Caliber 6.5mm Twist: 5R 1:8.5 Length: 30" Finished, 31" Blank Contour: 1.250" x 5.000" Straight, Taper to 1.00" Bore/Groove: .256/.264 Approx. Raw Barrel Weight: 8.48 lbs. Please note: We do not accept returns on this item. However, it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and in certain circumstances may be returned to the manufacturer. Barrels need to be threaded and chambered to fit the desired action. For returns or manufacturing defects, please contact Bartlein directly at (262) 677-1717.

Then get a barrel extension and bolt, before sending to a reputable smith who knows AR's.

Comment

thanks for the link LR. going to check out.

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Or they may have been resharpened into 264lbc. Reamers do need to be resharpened periodically especially if you are selling precision barrels

Comment

this could also be true, i bet theyll be backlogged from hell by the the time they get back going seeing that saami accepted the 6.5 G. Im calling everywhere today weighing my options. Wish me luck

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Prior to SAAMI, not sure that Grendel reamers were readily available. Perhaps Satern forfeited their reamer to AA when the relationship ended in 2011. I don't know how the process worked, so just speculation on my part.

I've heard of extended lead times in some cases for chamber reamers to be produced, so isn't surprising that there might be a delay before Satern is capable of producing Grendel barrels again.

For what it's worth, I've used 3 Grendel-chambered Satern barrels, and all have been incredibly accurate.
                      Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Reamer lead times can be months in the best of circumstances, and I suspect that is at least part of the reason that, even with SAAMI approval, not everyone that makes barrels is chambering the Grendel yet!

Comment

i would agree with you both drifter and bwaites. Im starting to become somewhat leery of some of the shops Im talking to about a barrel. Anyone ever dealt with templar custom? this shop is located in North Carolina. There seems to be 3 or 4 templar shops. Ive found templar custom, templar customs, and templar tactical. Ive put in for quotes from 2 of those, and a quote from precision firearms. hope to hear something soon. I have heard from templar custom in NC, their price for cut rifled with bolt is 600 plus shipping. just dont know much about any of these guys. gonna do some research tonite. looked at AA barrels, just not crazy about their contours. thanks for all the input everyone.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Templar Consulting in North Carolina has a stellar reputation. They built a Beowulf for then vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin. They are innovative and several members have their rifles. LRRPF52 has commented on their quality re: a rifle that he painted.

The Sarah Palin Beowulf:

With Mother’s Day right around the corner, nothing quite says “I love you” like a military-styled assault weapon. Luckily for Sarah Palin’s family, they won’t have to spend that type of money for s…

Precision Firearms also has a great reputation. I've not held or shot any of their rifles, but I'm hoping to test a 5.56 in the future.

Everyone is getting ready for the NRA Show in a couple weeks, so just about all the companies are going to be slow to respond right now.
                            Last edited by bwaites; 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

thanks for the reply bwaites, ive been shooting, reloading, hunting etc. for 25 years , new to the grendel stuff though. never dealt with all these custom shops. Im startin to see how you all became addicted to the grendel. Thanks again.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X