Anyone producing a 3R rifled 6.5 Grendel barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darryle
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2022

Anyone producing a 3R rifled 6.5 Grendel barrel?

I know Harrison made a few, anyone else producing them?

18" or 20" 8 twist lightweight or heavy fluted, actually anything in the upper 20oz/Sub 2lb range would be awesome.

I don't know why I am such a nerd about 3r barrels, I know my Creedmoor and Wylde shoot great and clean easy.

Thanks Darryle
    NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
    GOA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NSCA Life Member
  • 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Darryle View Post
    I know Harrison made a few, anyone else producing them?

18" or 20" 8 twist lightweight or heavy fluted, actually anything in the upper 20oz/Sub 2lb range would be awesome.

I don't know why I am such a nerd about 3r barrels, I know my Creedmoor and Wylde shoot great and clean easy.

Thanks Darryle
    Might want to check Lilja.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
      Warrior
      • Dec 2018

AR15 performance used to. You could reach out and see if they have any left.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Allegedly, a fluted 319 is in stock. Just over two pounds.

At the time of our 6.5 Grendel barrel introduction (January 2014) we are making these available in three contours. These are the AR740 and AR 24 contours shown above as standards for the 204's and .223's and in addition we are also stocking one mid-length gas system contours; our 19" long 319 contour. To see drawings of these contours click on the designation: AR740,AR24 ,319. The 740, 319, and AR 24 profiles are also available in a fluted version. All 6.5 Grendel barrels are threaded at the muzzle with a 5/8"-24 thread - (although the linked drawings above may show 1/2-28). Weight is 2.16 pounds. The 6.5 Grendel barrels are headspaced using a Maxim Firearms bolt. Headspace may not be correct with our barrel using an Alexander Arms or LBC bolt.     We also have for sale a 6.5 Grendel bolt made by Maxim Firearms. This bolt is a perfect match for our 6.5 Grendel barrels. Machined from certified 9310 AQ (aircraft quality) steel Bolts are a Matte black; phosphate finish Completely assembled with extractor, rings, and ejector, ready for installation into your bolt carrier Also referred to as "Type II" bolt which has a .136" bolt face depth Barrel extensions are an M4 type. We also keep fluted version of these in stock. There are five flutes on the front section, leaving a missing flute where the barrel is engraved and six flutes on the back section. Fluting adds $130 to the price.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Fess
            Warrior
            • Jun 2019

The relative width of the lands and grooves and their associated diameters is what the cross sectional area of a bore. The current thinking is that certain types of bullet work better with either more or fewer lands. Barrels with odd numbers of lands are thought to help center the bullets rather than allowing it to stay pinched slightly to one side.

A few months ago I got curious and calculated the land/groove ratios of some cartridges based on SAAMI specs. The SAAMI spec has both a suggested rifling configuration and a the cross sectional area of the bore. The Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor land/groove ratio is about 33/67. Interestingly, the 260 Rem specs wider grooves and a slightly larger bore area with a (roughly) 30/70 ratio.

It turns out that the 270 Win and most other .277 cartridges (6.8 SPC and .277 SIG Fury included) are spec'd with a 25/75 ratio. A lot of .277 barrels made in the early 2000's, did not follow that recommendation, however, and had 33/67 or smaller. It was eventually discovered that many of the barrels that caused pressure issues with the 6.8 SPC were undersized so it is no wonder that cartridge had pressure issues. Harrison's "narrow land" barrels are just the SAAMI spec. I wonder if Winchester realized that many barrel makers were not following the 270 SAAMI spec when they decided to use 33/67 for their new 6.8 Western.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Fess, Any comparisons on differences in friction or heating with the different land/groove setups?
              Friction loss is one energy-loss (and so subtracts from what will accelerate the bullet, all other things equal) and I don't think a lot is known or talked about, when it comes to internal ballistics.
              Side note, I personally like the 5-land setup.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                Fess, Any comparisons on differences in friction or heating with the different land/groove setups?
                Friction loss is one energy-loss (and so subtracts from what will accelerate the bullet, all other things equal) and I don't think a lot is known or talked about, when it comes to internal ballistics.
                Side note, I personally like the 5-land setup.
                I've never heard anyone call their a Lilja a fast barrel. I have heard quite a few call them slow over the years.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                X