Ruger Mini 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger Mini 6.5 Grendel?

There is a company called Accuracy Systems based out of Colorado that can convert a Ruger mini 14/30 into a 6.5 Grendel.
    They also sell there own.
    The Ruger Mini is an excelent firearm in my opinion. They are a very reliable action and they are based off the Gerand action.
    Anyone try one, or own one?

There's a whole thread on this specific subject, with Accuracy Systems discussed at length, and other accurizing techniques for the Mini-14. Check the "search" function.

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Here ya go.

I have a friend who lives and hunts in Alaska. He has a bias against the AR and carries a Mini-14 for his short range Wolf rifle (400 yds and under). I noticed that Mini-14's are being offered in 6.5 Grendel. Is any one here shooting one?

Comment

Thanks.
        I'll check it out.
        Probably not worth the $ to do it.
        I'll just do a budget AR in 6.5g.
        What is a good less expensive upper?

Comment

• Clod Stomper

I considered it for a while. I even bought a Mini-30. But ultimately, one can build an AR of higher quality for less money. And have magazines of reasonable quality. And have better open sights. I spent a little time and money improving the Mini to make it a better shooter and built a whole Grendel AR for the cost of just the basic conversion.

Look at J&T Distributing for budget uppers. You can also assemble one from a Shaw barrel from Alexander Arms. Whatever you decide, I recommend you go with a genuine, SAAMI spec 6.5 Grendel chamber.

Will

Comment

It includes a .3" 100yd test target from the factory. The seller says he had it built and never shot it.

Comment

Wow! That is a nice piece!
              If I already had a grendel ar, then I would maybe build a mini...

Comment

So, jt distributing would be a good upper to start with?

Comment

^ I can say that a J&T upper I bought in 5.56 a couple of years ago is a good shooter. The color matched great to a Spike's lower, and fit was tight.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wojo14 View Post
                    So, jt distributing would be a good upper to start with?
                    Generally any forged upper or lower from a quality manufacturer is good to go. There are only a handful of forges that provide the banks from which all receivers are made. The difference is in the machining and finish. I would shy away from cast or extruded receivers. I'm sure some folks have had good luck with them but forged or billet receivers are pretty much guaranteed performers.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ibgp3 View Post
                      http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=278327100

It includes a .3" 100yd test target from the factory. The seller says he had it built and never shot it.
                      That's a nice looking rifle but for $1450 I can build a very nice AR. Good to see other options in 6.5g though. Some people still have a preference against ARs.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Another + 1 for J & T, they offer basically rack grade uppers with good finish for a fair price. I have a 16" with Phantom flash hider which is a good shooter. I think they use Shaw barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                          That's a nice looking rifle but for $1450 I can build a very nice AR. Good to see other options in 6.5g though. Some people still have a preference against ARs.
                          This one is definitely over-priced. The last one I found was $500 less, but I was a day late. I want the two for comparison.

Comment

$1450 for a trick Mini-14 like that is more than reasonable, I think, especially if it comes with a .3" group target shot at 100 yds. That is a fine-looking rig, and I'm an AR nazi.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              $1450 for a trick Mini-14 like that is more than reasonable, I think, especially if it comes with a .3" group target shot at 100 yds. That is a fine-looking rig, and I'm an AR nazi.
                              I don't disagree. I wouldn't mind having it in my safe. Just need to win the lottery first.

Comment

Working...
                              X