• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt action?

I am thinking of a 6.5g bolt action.
    Any one make one?
    If not.
    I would like to build one from a 700 action.
    Any thoughts?

When I joined this forum I found that the search function on this forum is really good.

There is also a thread on a Grendel bolt gun in the same section - Remington 799 rebarrel for 6.5 Grendel. The CZ527 is also popular in America and is discussed in the build section.

I wouldn't use a Rem700 action, so much action, such a little cartridge. Your preferences may vary.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Here you go.

Where can I find more info on doing this? Where can I get a good barrel for the 799 in 6.5 and also does anyone have any feed back for me on doing this like how well theirs shoots or if there is any feeding reliability ect? Thanks.

Any body ever mess with the 527, they chamber it for 7.62x39, so I was thinking about rebarreling one for 6.5 Grendel.

As adam said, you may have feeding issues even with with a short action 700. Micro actions are better suited to the Grendel.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I see that Ruger has a 77 Hawkeye in 7.62x39 action.
        Would that be a good starting point?
        Then change out the barrel?

Comment

That Hawkeye Compact still uses a short action, when the real attraction to the Grendel bolt gun is a micro action like the CZ527, Zastava, etc.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Don't see why not.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

I had a .223 700 bdl turned into a 6.5 Grendel.I love it. Accurate. Light. Flawless feeding. The longer action length helps with with loading bullets long. Many more options available with the 700 action the any other action . The .223 was surplus to needs anyway.

Comment

I have a Rem 700 sps in 223!
                It has a hinged floor plate and an upgraded bolt.
                I can easily get a new stock.
                Where do I get a barrel, and will any gunsmith be able to do this conversion, and do it right?
                I need some guidance. I always just buy guns off the shelf. This would be my fist custom/modified rifle.
                I am just getting bored of the .223. Not all that impressed. My opinion!

Comment

Just my opinion but when it comes to bolt actions there are better chambers. In other. Words, if. You want a super sweetheart and. Accurate bolt gun, you can do calibers that Don't work really good on an ar platform, like 6ppc or 6.5-284.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

That is correct, but my interest in a 6.5 G bolt gun is not for performance but for a light weight, light recoiling rifle my kids can use. Also a big factor is using reloading equipment and components I already have.

Comment

A bolt gun isn't subject to the 50,000 psi pressure limitations of the AR15/Grendel, so you can get significantly higher velocities with one and still be safe, since the Grendel is a high-pressure case with well-designed brass and a small rifle primer.

Comparing a Grendel and a 6.5x284 is like comparing a .30-30 and a .300 Win Mag-the .300 Win Mag will not fit in the .30-30 action. The difference is that a 22" Grendel bolt gun can push a 139gr Scenar to 2700fps, while a 6.5x284 will push the 139gr at 2950 fps. The 6.5-284 also needs a larger action, usually a 26"+ barrel, and 46.0-52.0gr of powder.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        The 6.5-284 also needs a larger action, usually a 26"+ barrel, and 46.0-52.0gr of powder.
                        And..... A new barrel much sooner.
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Just be careful that beefy ammo loaded for a bolt gun doesn't wind up in an AR magazine. One way to safeguard this would be to intentionally load your bolt ammo long so that it can't fit in an AR mag. Just my $0.02 worth.

Comment

I have achieved just over 3000fps with a 100gn NBT out of my Grendel with Lapua brass. Accuracy is not terribly good (1.5inch @ 100m) and I am going back to the loading bench to work up again with a different powder.

I will not publish loads in fear of them being accidentially loaded in an AR platform.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
                              Just be careful that beefy ammo loaded for a bolt gun doesn't wind up in an AR magazine. One way to safeguard this would be to intentionally load your bolt ammo long so that it can't fit in an AR mag. Just my $0.02 worth.
                              Not a bad idea at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X