Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtn_shooter

Grendel magazine issue

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of what I bought. They were either C-products or AR-Stoner.

I'm stationed in DC, family and guns are in Nevada, I don't make it home too often (3-4 times a year at most). Between my visits home I order a TON of shit that stacks up until I make it back next time (ammo, reloading supplies, mags, optics etc.. It's really out of control). Anyway, over the summer last year I ordered 10, 25 round 6.5 Grendel magazines from www.midwayusa.com. I was too ignorant to check the floorplate on my last visit home, and all of my stuff is packed up in boxes because the family is moving. I see that midway currently doesn't offer C-products magazines anymore (did they ever? I seem to remember it.), so I'm tempted to think they're AR-Stoner brand. The finish on them is different from the gloss black from my other C-product magazines-- more of a parkerized grey color, and blue followers.

My issue, they only hold 20-22 rounds before they get extremely stiff and hard to load. I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences? They function just fine with 20 rounds loaded, but it really doesn't feel like I'm going to get 25 in there like I should be able to.
  • RangerRick

There is currently only one maker of Grendel mags. It used to be C-Products but they sold out to another company after going belly up. The Alex-A mags are made by them too, just a different stamp on the floor plate.

The grey ones are the new manufacture. Are you having trouble with hand loads or factory ammo? If it's hand loads the length may be a problem.

I have mostly 10 and 25 rounders, but I bought one of the new 17 round mags. I can only get 14 in. You can trim the follower about a quarter of an inch or so to help with that.

There are supposed to be a couple of new manufacturers soon, but we've been hearing that for awhile.

RR
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Interesting, thanks. I don't think that it was an OAL issue. It was a mix of Wolf Gold 120 MPT and some old 120 SMK reloads I had (not loaded long at all). I'll have to tinker when I get home again.

Comment

The description you gave of the gray finish mags tells me they are ASC mags.

Comment

Load the mags as full as you can and leave them sit for a few days. The spring will "set" and then you will be able to fill the mag the rest of the way. Basically, you are breaking in the spring. Give it a shot.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
            There is currently only one maker of Grendel mags. It used to be C-Products but they sold out to another company after going belly up.
            I think there are two manufacturers, and also think the former C-Products (C-Products LLC) didn't simply sell out to another company. It was reportedly more along the lines of a legal dispute.

Without going into the details that circulated the 'net a while back, it seems that ASC is one source for mags:

We provide a large selection of magazines for nearly ALL AR-15 calibers. Our products are backed by years of experience designing AR-15 magazines.

The new C-Products (C-Products Defense Inc) appears to be tooled up and producing redesigned mags:

Some 6.5 mags are currently in stock:

Not sure if what LCJ is selling is leftover C-Products LLC mags or new production C-Products Defense mags.

I have several 15/17-round mags from both ASC and C-Products LLC (presumably produced by the same machinery), and all have functioned fine. Haven't yet found any reports regarding new C-Products Defense mags.
            Drifter

Comment

I have two, 25 round AR Stoner mags recently ordered from Midway and found the springs stiffer but definitley loadable for all 25 rounds. Both mags ran well without a hitch, unlike my shiney black softer sprung C Product 25 rd mags.

If all your issue is, is hard to load mags, that may not be an issue at all.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by parallax View Post
                I have two, 25 round AR Stoner mags recently ordered from Midway and found the springs stiffer but definitley loadable for all 25 rounds. Both mags ran well without a hitch, unlike my shiney black softer sprung C Product 25 rd mags.

If all your issue is, is hard to load mags, that may not be an issue at all.

I recently purchased 3 of these myself and found the springs stiff also, but I noticed when I was stripping rounds out of them they were slow to advance the rounds up the magazine. A little graphite powder seemed to fix the issue.
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                X