• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Bullpup options - where we are today

To date, there really hasn't been an option for 6.5 Grendel in a bullpup that I know of. Best route I can tell right now, is the Desert Tech MDR, which is the only bullpup available in 6.5 Creedmoor now; and has a modular design which allows one to replace barrels relatively easily. That said, they don't make a 7.62x39 version, which means there is no factory bolt for the Desert Tech that would work. That, and if the platform is built for .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, downgrading that size frame to a small-frame based round kind of defeats the point - might as well just run mild 6.5 CM, if that's the goal.

But as best I can tell, there still are no options for 6.5 Grendel fans in Bullpup, that don't involve a custom non-standard home-made bolt and barrel approach. Are there?
    4x P100
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Somewhere deep in the bowels of Kel-Tec in Coco Beach, Florida, there's a RDB chambered in 6.5 Grendel. It never made it to production.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Red*Lion
      Warrior
      • Apr 2020

A Grendel Bulpup of quality would certain garner interest from me.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Red*Lion View Post
        A Grendel Bulpup of quality would certain garner interest from me.
        It's frustrating, because if one is an optimizer - you end up landing on the Grendel round. It's the most optimized round that will fit in a small frame AR style rifle. And if one is an optimizer, bull-pups get real interesting, because they are the optimized sized package for the amount of barrel length and ballistics performance you can get. There's all kinds of basis for preference for bullpup. As one example, when I saw this video, I thought it was a pretty interesting simple comparison. Indeed, I've done "house carry" using a side-sling during an area "disturbance" for a few hours (there was never any real danger, but heck - I have the kit, so why not?); and found the bullpup design worked better than anything else for that. Throw a laser on it, and your hand naturally falls to the side in line with the trigger and pistol grip, allowing pretty fast Oh-Shit deployment capability, compared to an AR platform, where the balance causes the trigger and pistol grip to be behind you, if you sling-side carry it around.

For me, the ultimate optimized rifle kit, is a 6.5 Grendel bullpup. Which nobody makes. Ah well.
        Last edited by lazyengineer; 03-11-2021, 05:18 PM.
        4x P100

Comment

Working...
        X