• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moe2889
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2021

I'm brand new to AR's

Hi I'm looking to put together my first AR build. I chose to go with 6.5 grendal for my first AR. I'm new to ARs period. I already got a lower getting ready to ship so I'm looking for uppers now. I'm looking for a upper thats accurate and reliable. Not looking to have malfunctions the first time I take it out. The brands I know about are PSA Grendal Hunter Alexander Arms and Odin Works. I know AA and Odin Works would be the top tier uppers. My question is what upper is accurate and basically guaranteed reliable? Does barrel length play an effect? Most 18 inch uppers ive seen have the adjustable gas blocks and I didn't really see those on the other length of barrels.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-20-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-07-2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Moe2889 View Post
        Hi I'm looking to put together my first AR build. I chose to go with 6.5 grendal for my first AR. I'm new to ARs period. I already got a lower getting ready to ship so I'm looking for uppers now. I'm looking for a upper thats accurate and reliable. Not looking to have malfunctions the first time I take it out. The brands I know about are PSA Grendal Hunter Alexander Arms and Odin Works. I know AA and Odin Works would be the top tier uppers. My question is what upper is accurate and basically guaranteed reliable? Does barrel length play an effect? Most 18 inch uppers ive seen have the adjustable gas blocks and I didn't really see those on the other length of barrels.
        My advice. Do it right the first time. Call mark at Precision Firearms and have him build you a upper.

Will cost more but It will be the top shelf of top shelf products.

Edit to add.

Mark will also give you a first order discount for being a grendel fourm member.
        Last edited by A5BLASTER; 02-07-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• BowChamp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

This is what I have. You will have to wait......and it is well worth it.

Comment

• 7mmtcu
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2020

before you buy check out Atheris products i bought an upper last year topped it with a Vortex strke eagle dropped in my load from my bolt Howa and shot 1/4 to 1/2 min@ 100 YDS little break in. the load is Hornaday brass fed sm rifle 28 gr ar comp and sierra 107 tmk oal 2.260 also it is a 24 inch bbl.

Comment

• Moe2889
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2021

Thanks for all the info. There's alot to think about. All those others companies I didn't know about so I'm going to research all of them and see what works for me. I was leaning towards the Odin Works 18 inch upper but ill wait and check out the other companies. I appreciate the info.

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

You know, if you want a nice accurate one, and can settle for a 16 for now, there is an Alexander Arms ANIB available (sans BCG/CH) in the buy/sell section.

You could try it and flip it if you don't want it.

It will be one of your quicker options.

Comment

• Moe2889
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2021

I was checking out PF and like what they have to offer but unfortunately there out of my price range. I like the .5 moa barrels they have. Is there a little more affordable barrel with similar performance from other manufacturers?

Comment

• peak98
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

Is there a little more affordable barrel with similar performance from other manufacturers?

Comment

• Newguy
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2019

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

I was checking out PF and like what they have to offer but unfortunately there out of my price range. I like the .5 moa barrels they have. Is there a little more affordable barrel with similar performance from other manufacturers?
                        No.

In the end run, your not going to get a rack grade barrel to compete with a custom. True they might both shoot sub moa at 100 yards, but it's when you go longer distance are year up the barrel with multiple shots quickly when you see the custom barrel out do a rack grade barrel.

Comment

• KarlHungus
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2020

Others might disagree with me on this, but I would not recommend going with 6.5 grendel for your first AR build. Yes, it is my favorite caliber. I have two rifles chambered in it, both built with premium parts. Both had cycling issues. It's a finnicky caliber sometimes to get running, especially in comparison to 5.56. That being said, 6.5 is a superior caliber once you get it to work. And I know of plenty of people who did cheaper builds than I and had zero issues. Luck of the draw, I guess.
                          If you are dead set on doing a Grendel build for youR first AR, ask yourself what you're going to be doing with the rifle. Do you want to shoot targets at 1000 yards? If so, 18" is probably a good bet, though it's doable with shorter builds. Is this a defensive carbine? If so, I'd recommend going shorter. My 12.5" Grendel is by far my favorite rifle. It has serious power even out past 500 yards, but it's still light and short enough to navigate easily around obstacles. It has an adjustable gas block, a full auto carrier, and a heavy weight JP silent captured spring. I run mine suppressed. If you plan on doing the same, shorter is better (unless this is a prone or bench only gun) because cans add length and weight in the worst possible spot (off the muzzle).
                          Personally, I would go with a shorter build. 16" or less. The AR excels at being a lightweight, ergonomic platform that is easy to accessorize. Optics, lights, lasers, and bipods all add weight (and the first two are essential in my opinion), so saving lbs at the expense of slightly lower velocities is more than worth it. Just my opinion.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• KarlHungus
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2020

Respectfully, I disagree. I went with one of the most highly touted manufacturers on this site, Precision Firearms, for my second Grendel upper. It didn't work until I switched out the bolt with another rifle's. Now its true, you can have headspacing issues with any rifle, but I have never had a problem getting any of the 5.56 AR's I've built to run. Both Grendels I own (one from parts, the second from PF) were finnicky. Add in magazine issues (everyone here likes E Landers, my guns prefer c-products), and you can see why people have issues with the caliber in an AR platform.
                              This is not to say that it can't be done. It can - both of my rifles run just fine now. But it is trickier, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a first time AR builder.
                              But that's only part of my reasoning. The main reason is that right now, and for the forseeable future, 5.56 is more common. When this madness passes, and it will, it will be much easier to get ammunition and parts for a standard 5.56 AR.
                              I am not urging Moe to stay away from Grendel AR's. I just think he would be better served to start with a 5.56 one, and build a Grendel later. Then again, perhaps he's on a strict budget, and can't do both, and he really likes this caliber (who doesnt?). In that case, he's come to the right place. People here are very helpful, and while he may have some issues initially, he will ultimately end up with a fine, reliable rifle in what I consider to be the best intermediate caliber out there.
                              Sorry, didn't mean to start an argument.

Comment

Working...
                              X