• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High_n_Dry
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2020

Not a Grendel, but pretty fun!

I built my 6.5 Grendel and shot 60 rounds through it before running out of ammo. My other rifles' ammo situation was not too great either (and let's not talk about handgun ammo!), so my time at the range had become quite limited. However, I had a couple thousand rounds of .22 lr (who doesn't?) that was just lying around, so I started thinking of putting it to use.

I have been looking at 22 lr bolt actions, but then thought that sticking with the AR platform would let me get some good time on the AR trigger. The one thing I was a little wary of was accuracy. Reading other reviews, the conversion kit seemed to give just ok accuracy and there was not a lot of info on 22 lr uppers. I have always liked JP, but the price always drove me away. Finally when I couldn't take the range withdrawals anymore, I took the JP upper plunge.

Took the rifle to the range today and out of the box it was shooting sub-MOA at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity. The other thing I noticed was that it actually was a ton of fun! Never misfired or had any misfeeds.

I'm actually pretty excited to start long range shooting with the 22 (or at least 200 yards)!
  • Lemonaid
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

At our local range 22LR are banned at the 300 yard section, only allowed at 50 yard separate range sections with no overhead baffles. Baffle strikes have a different meaning there. The overhead baffles were getting riddled with holes before the ban due to the trajectory of the .22LR.
    The fun factor is essential IMO, thanks for report on the JP upper conversion.

Comment

• High_n_Dry
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2020

Ahh, good point.
      My local range has a large 22 LR contingent and I know that out to 100 is allowed, but I'll have to ask about the longer ranges. At 300, the 22 is more mortar like.

Comment

• murfvol
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

Thanks for the report. I've wondered about those.

Comment

Working...
        X