Bolt carrier question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt carrier question...

Are 223/556 and 6.5 bolt carriers interchangeable? I have a nickeled carrier I'd like to use in my Grendel.....
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Yes
    Drifter

Comment

• leopard6.5

Steve357: Yes but all .223/5.56 carriers are not the same.

There is a difference between an AR-15 and a M16 carrier.
      The M16 carrier has more mass( weight) than the AR-15 carriers and thus the M16 carrier helps to slow down the movement when fired.
      This is especially helpful when it comes to the Grendel as sometimes it is over-gassed.

It's best to use the M16 carrier and a buffer weight that is the same as a regular rifle length buffer.

Good Luck and welcome to the horde.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leopard6.5 View Post
        Steve357: Yes but all .223/5.56 carriers are not the same.

There is a difference between an AR-15 and a M16 carrier.
        The M16 carrier has more mass( weight) than the AR-15 carriers and thus the M16 carrier helps to slow down the movement when fired.
        This is especially helpful when it comes to the Grendel as sometimes it is over-gassed.

It's best to use the M16 carrier and a buffer weight that is the same as a regular rifle length buffer.

Good Luck and welcome to the horde.

Lee
        Ditto on what Lee posted, with the Grendel a heavier BCG and recoil buffer are advantageous.

Comment

The advice on the heavier bolt carrier is good. I would add that you may want to look into an adjustable gas block. I have one on my 18" and it was really useful when setting the gun up.

Comment

But you have to consider, any single part that can be used in full auto, can be illegal, although it takes 6 parts to make a semiauto a full auto. Ownership of one part can show intent to manufacture a full auto. The bolt carrier is the one piece that is not clear, but I won't own a M16 carrier because I don't want to bring any doubt into the scenario.

Comment

• leopard6.5

fanofflyn: I remember reading here before and I'll keep looking for the post, that the fed made an exception for the bolt carrier so using an M16 carrier is not considered a full auto part.

When I find the post I'll post it since it also had a copy of the fed's ruling.

Lee

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                But you have to consider, any single part that can be used in full auto, can be illegal, although it takes 6 parts to make a semiauto a full auto. Ownership of one part can show intent to manufacture a full auto. The bolt carrier is the one piece that is not clear, but I won't own a M16 carrier because I don't want to bring any doubt into the scenario.
                M16 bolt carrier is not illegal for use in AR-15:

Drifter

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll take all of it under advisement....I cant do the adjustable gas block, It's a mid-length with a rifle length guard with a low profile gas-block....

Comment

• leopard6.5

Thanks Drifter for finding that about the M16 carriers. I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Steve: There is a thread on the forum about a front adjustable gas block so you could use the rifle length handguard with your mid-length gas system.

Here's the link: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...w-front-access

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

Hey thanks for the info on the bolt carrier. I have always been a little paranoid about big brother.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I believe all the AA carriers, in their uppers are M- 16 style/ wt. My AA upper came with one. Totally legal.

Comment

There are plenty of manufacturers who only use M16 carriers, and they are well-advised legally. DD, BCM, Spike's, Noveske, CMMG and others provide this as standard. None of them are in the business of going out of business.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            There are plenty of manufacturers who only use M16 carriers, and they are well-advised legally.
                            I've been told Colt has shipped M-16 carriers in it's semiauto Civvy/LE carbines for years

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                              I've been told Colt has shipped M-16 carriers in it's semiauto Civvy/LE carbines for years
                              Yes, I have received some.
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                              X