NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDW
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

I dunno. I once used Permatex's green "Penetrating Grade" thread locker on a gas block. The kind of locker that's super runny and designed to be applied to parts after assembly. I figured, if it's not drilled for taper pins then this stuff will help. (Was a set-screw type attachment.) Boy was I right. A couple of year later I needed to get the barrel nut off so I could change out the hand guard. And I did remove the set screws before starting. Heat gun and tapping with a hammer would not get that gas block to move. It eventually took my MAP gas torch plus some POUNDING with that claw hammer to get it moving. Petty horrible. Ruined my gas block. I may as a well add that the gas block, a Troy Industries basic lo-pro, went on originally with a nice slip fit.

Learned a lesson. No more locking compounds under gas blocks. I've told this story to people and it's come back, "That's not possible. Everything melts at 400 degrees" or similar. Doesn't change the fact that mine needed to get effin' hot. And even then it was a mm by mm process.

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Comment

• Les Staley
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2020

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SDW View Post
            I dunno. I once used Permatex's green "Penetrating Grade" thread locker on a gas block. The kind of locker that's super runny and designed to be applied to parts after assembly. I figured, if it's not drilled for taper pins then this stuff will help. (Was a set-screw type attachment.) Boy was I right. A couple of year later I needed to get the barrel nut off so I could change out the hand guard. And I did remove the set screws before starting. Heat gun and tapping with a hammer would not get that gas block to move. It eventually took my MAP gas torch plus some POUNDING with that claw hammer to get it moving. Petty horrible. Ruined my gas block. I may as a well add that the gas block, a Troy Industries basic lo-pro, went on originally with a nice slip fit.

Learned a lesson. No more locking compounds under gas blocks. I've told this story to people and it's come back, "That's not possible. Everything melts at 400 degrees" or similar. Doesn't change the fact that mine needed to get effin' hot. And even then it was a mm by mm process.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MaxSpede
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              No one except Fulton Armory uses thread locker on the receiver threads.
              Fixed it for you....

Comment

Working...
              X