• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geaux87
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

Barrel

Im building my first 6.5G. I am looking at faxon, ballistic advantage, or atheris, which is the superior of those?

Also i cant decide 18" or 20". My plans with it are mainly predator, hog, and deer hunting. Shots up to 500 yards is 18" enough barrel or do i need 20"?

Thanks in advance for yalls help.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

If your going to try deer at 500 yards go 20 as a min and 24 would be better. For yotes and target 18 inch will work out too 500 yards.

As to barrels I don't have personal experience with BA or faxon but here both good and bad about them.

Comment

• shreddykruger
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by geaux87 View Post
      Im building my first 6.5G. I am looking at faxon, ballistic advantage, or atheris, which is the superior of those?

Also i cant decide 18" or 20". My plans with it are mainly predator, hog, and deer hunting. Shots up to 500 yards is 18" enough barrel or do i need 20"?

Thanks in advance for yalls help.
      I just built 2 AR 6.5 grendel rifles and although I haven't tried the other 2 barrel manufacturers you asked about I really like the 20" DMR ballistic advantage barrel and have had mine out to 875 yards (as far as my range goes) with no issues.

I would go 20" probably for the additional velocity, but more important is the gas length. Between the 2 rifles I built the one with rifle gas shoots much better. If you can get an 18 with rifle gas maybe go that way if you are adding a supressor to keep overall length low, otherwise 20" all the way imo.

Comment

• js8588
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Of the ones you listed, I'd go with Atheris.

Also, few reviews on this one, but what reviews there are have been very good. https://shop.deztacticalarms.com/18-...SSNITRO65F.htm

Comment

• wideglidejoe
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

I have an AA upper with a 20" Shilen barrel, it's been great. I have a 12.5" BA barrel that came with a very small gas port; .050". I wound up drilling it from .050" to .068" (if I remember correctly?) to get it to run right.

If you are considering a BA barrel, I'd suggest calling them to see what port size they are using and if it is compatible with the length of gas system; suppressed vs non-suppressed, etc.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-30-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Comment

• drewthebrave
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Great info from VASCAR above with some real world numbers. If you're serious about shots at 500 yards, my rough calculations show a 24" will juuust barely be pushing the 123gr SST at 1800 fps, which is (as I understand) the expansion threshold for that bullet. An 18" barrel should have the SST expand a little past 400 yards at sea level. Lower atmospheric pressure (higher altitude) would extend the range for both.

I'd give Criterion a good look, as they're an excellent value at around $300: https://criterionbarrels.com/product...2-hbar-barrel/

Or contact Mark at Precision Firearms and let him know exactly what you plan to do. If you don't mind waiting, he can turn the exact barrel you want into a reality: https://www.precisionfirearms.com/48...l-barrels.html

Comment

• Pootyng
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2018

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Klaus Von Richter
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2020

Comment

• NightStalker
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2018

I ha BA in several calibers and very happy. Length I always lean towards the short barrels but it your situation probably the 20 inch

Comment

• Mopar forever
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X